Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:04
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2003

In February, I will be taking the exam organised by the IOL in London called the Metropolitan Police Test for those who want to join the National Register of Public Service Interpreters. This exam is different from the IOL exam at the end of a course discussed elsewhere on Proz.com. Can anyone give me advice regarding how best to prepare for this exam?

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Holding my breath - what was it like? (best wishes too) Mar 3, 2003

What was it like....? Having had the experience of doing it.Quote:

On 2003-01-18 15:22, AnneLee wrote:

In February, I will be taking the exam organised by the IOL in London called the Metropolitan Police Test for those who want to join the National Register of Public Service Interpreters. This exam is different from the IOL exam at the end of a course discussed elsewhere on Proz.com. Can anyone give me advice regarding how best t... See more
What was it like....? Having had the experience of doing it.Quote:

On 2003-01-18 15:22, AnneLee wrote:

In February, I will be taking the exam organised by the IOL in London called the Metropolitan Police Test for those who want to join the National Register of Public Service Interpreters. This exam is different from the IOL exam at the end of a course discussed elsewhere on Proz.com. Can anyone give me advice regarding how best to prepare for this exam?

Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
court interpreting: tough exam Mar 4, 2003

How kind of you to ask. It was extremely tough... The consecutive interpreting and the written part of the exam did not pose any problems for me, but the simultaneous interpreting was a nightmare. It consisted of a heavy legal text, of the sort that I have never encountered in court myself. I am not sure how candidates can prepare themselves for this, because my hours of tape-recorded simultaneous interpreting did not seem to have prepared me all that well. Other candidates found this part of ... See more
How kind of you to ask. It was extremely tough... The consecutive interpreting and the written part of the exam did not pose any problems for me, but the simultaneous interpreting was a nightmare. It consisted of a heavy legal text, of the sort that I have never encountered in court myself. I am not sure how candidates can prepare themselves for this, because my hours of tape-recorded simultaneous interpreting did not seem to have prepared me all that well. Other candidates found this part of the exam tough, too.

It is a shame that this is incorporated into the exam, tripping up people who are otherwise competent to do the job. Currently, the police in the UK have to appeal to anyone they can lay their hands on when they can\'t find sufficiently qualified people on the list. This exam also shows up the lack of appropriate up-to-date legal (English-Dutch) lexicons. The material I had did not include newer terms like stalking which were of course included in the exam. The multilingual legal lexicon I ordered over the Internet turned out to be limited to industrial property law, and I couldn\'t lay my hands on anything else in time.

I will have to wait for 6 weeks now to get my results, but I would be able to re-take parts of the exam without doing the whole thing over again. However, this may have to be next year, because this exam is only organised once a year.... Taking part in the exam is very expensive. If anyone else considers taking it, they are welcome to contact me for a further \'de-briefing\'.
[addsig]
Collapse

sayanne
sayanne
English to French
Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) Mar 14, 2003

Hello,

I\'m currently studying for the DPSI (Legal option) which covers Immigration, Police, Crown Prosecution Service and Courts. It is definitely the best way to prepare for the police exam as everything that can possibly come up in the different tasks of the police exam is covered in the DPSI course. A friend of mine enroled after failing the Police\'s test simultaneous task twice and now feels a lot more confident. The course only runs from September to June (only 4 hou
... See more
Hello,

I\'m currently studying for the DPSI (Legal option) which covers Immigration, Police, Crown Prosecution Service and Courts. It is definitely the best way to prepare for the police exam as everything that can possibly come up in the different tasks of the police exam is covered in the DPSI course. A friend of mine enroled after failing the Police\'s test simultaneous task twice and now feels a lot more confident. The course only runs from September to June (only 4 hours a week) but is very rewarding and I\'ve learned a lot and practised simulteneaous and consecutive interpreting quite extensively. As far as the terminologies are concerned, you\'re right is is very specific and none of the glossaries I have viewed on different translating/ interpreting sites match the terms I come accross in my course. Anyway, I thought you might be interested in this course if you didn\'t already know about it.

All the best for the results!

Caroline
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Course associated with language Mar 15, 2003

Thanks for the advice. But are these courses not tied to specific language pairs? I have looked at lists of courses in the UK, but not found one specific for English-Dutch.

sayanne
sayanne
English to French
Dutch was added to the Institute of Linguists List Mar 16, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-15 12:50, AnneLee wrote:

Thanks for the advice. But are these courses not tied to specific language pairs? I have looked at lists of courses in the UK, but not found one specific for English-Dutch.

sayanne
sayanne
English to French
Dutch was added to the Institute of Linguists List Mar 16, 2003

for the 2002-2003 courses. Availability of the course in a specific language depends on language tutors\' availabily and demand for that specific language. You should find a suitable course by contacting the IOL.

Good luck!

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 16, 2003

Will check the course out in the coming week. Thanks for the tip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metropolitan Police Test

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »