suspicious solicitations of freelancers
Thread poster: Brian KEEGAN (X)
Brian KEEGAN (X)
Brian KEEGAN (X)
Local time: 15:43
French to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2001

I have just received an invitation from a \"société de traduction internationale\" to submit my CV plus a detailed list of my clients (\"références aussi précises que possible\") in order to be included in their database of freelance Fr-En translators. The company does not identify itself in its solicitation - i.e. no name, no address, just an email address. My suspicion is that this is possibly an exercise in client-poaching. Of course, I may be completely wrong, so I was wondering if anyo... See more
I have just received an invitation from a \"société de traduction internationale\" to submit my CV plus a detailed list of my clients (\"références aussi précises que possible\") in order to be included in their database of freelance Fr-En translators. The company does not identify itself in its solicitation - i.e. no name, no address, just an email address. My suspicion is that this is possibly an exercise in client-poaching. Of course, I may be completely wrong, so I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience...Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2001

I receive these types of requests as well. What I normally do is send them a general CV (not including any specific client names, etc.).

I merely state my experience (in terms of subject matters only), qualifications, daily volumes, rates, etc.

You may also want to check them out first if you can (if they don\'t provide a WWW address for their organisation, then do an Internet search and see what comes up - sometimes, you may stumble across some \"negati
... See more
I receive these types of requests as well. What I normally do is send them a general CV (not including any specific client names, etc.).

I merely state my experience (in terms of subject matters only), qualifications, daily volumes, rates, etc.

You may also want to check them out first if you can (if they don\'t provide a WWW address for their organisation, then do an Internet search and see what comes up - sometimes, you may stumble across some \"negative reviews\" posted by unsatisfied users of their service, etc.).

But you are absolutely correct in wanting to be careful. You just never know anymore these days.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Jun 13, 2001

I think you will find that the same posting has been re-edited and re-posted. Quick comment though, that it is common to provide client references. Whilst I understand your reticence, you may well prefer to describe the client without giving names and if they\'re interested, then more detial may well be given. Apply the same type of rules as when applying for any job, viz. contact your client (your contact in particular) and ask if they can be used as a reference. That way you should be covered.... See more
I think you will find that the same posting has been re-edited and re-posted. Quick comment though, that it is common to provide client references. Whilst I understand your reticence, you may well prefer to describe the client without giving names and if they\'re interested, then more detial may well be given. Apply the same type of rules as when applying for any job, viz. contact your client (your contact in particular) and ask if they can be used as a reference. That way you should be covered.

Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Jun 13, 2001

I think you will find that the same posting has been re-edited and re-posted. Quick comment though, that it is common to provide client references. Whilst I understand your reticence, you may well prefer to describe the client without giving names and if they\'re interested, then more detial may well be given. Apply the same type of rules as when applying for any job, viz. contact your client (your contact in particular) and ask if they can be used as a reference. That way you should be covered.... See more
I think you will find that the same posting has been re-edited and re-posted. Quick comment though, that it is common to provide client references. Whilst I understand your reticence, you may well prefer to describe the client without giving names and if they\'re interested, then more detial may well be given. Apply the same type of rules as when applying for any job, viz. contact your client (your contact in particular) and ask if they can be used as a reference. That way you should be covered.

Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2001

That\'s what I meant - you tell them the type of company you worked for and the kind of work you did, without revealing your client\'s name (at first). Of course, you always have to check with them to see if it is all right to use them as references.

But I think the original question had to do with the issue of e-mail or on-line requests for CVs, etc. And I do see a problem there - these things may be misused (poaching your clients, or floods of promotional junk e-mails endi
... See more
That\'s what I meant - you tell them the type of company you worked for and the kind of work you did, without revealing your client\'s name (at first). Of course, you always have to check with them to see if it is all right to use them as references.

But I think the original question had to do with the issue of e-mail or on-line requests for CVs, etc. And I do see a problem there - these things may be misused (poaching your clients, or floods of promotional junk e-mails ending up in your inbox).

Other services, perhaps, may want to use your CVs to \"fatten\" their databases (I could conceive of a plan where they may even get some kind of financial assistance as an upstart business or agency if they can provide proof of a sufficient number of contractors).

The best thing is to be careful and take these things case by case (and always contact such agencies by phone in order to follow up and to get to know them).
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Jun 15, 2001

Yes Eurotransl. In those sorts of situations, it pays to be careful. I am out of touch with agency practices as I do not go through agencies any more. My \"direct\" clients give me a full-time load already and I quite simply contact those I wish to work for in the same way as I would send off a job application, albeit unsollicited.

Troy Fowler (X)
Troy Fowler (X)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 25, 2001

Hey fellow ProZ.com users,

...just a reminder, but ProZ.com offers a section with tips on how to those involved in freelance translation can better protect themselves. Take a look at:

http://www.proz.com/v3/index.php3?sp=info/index&ssp=policies

...thought this might help.

Troy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suspicious solicitations of freelancers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »