Which CAT tool is a better investment for a new translator?
Thread poster: Maria Forsyth
Maria Forsyth
Maria Forsyth
English to Spanish
Mar 3, 2003

Hello, I am new in the translation word, and I wouold like to invest in a CAT tool that would help me with different translation projects. I plan to work as a freelancer and get jobs independently as well as jobs from agencies. I would like to ask the more experienced colleagues about their opinions on industry standard software. I heard Trados is the industry standard, but I have also heard that DejaVu\'s features might be better than Trados\' ones. These CAT tools are pretty expensive, so ... See more
Hello, I am new in the translation word, and I wouold like to invest in a CAT tool that would help me with different translation projects. I plan to work as a freelancer and get jobs independently as well as jobs from agencies. I would like to ask the more experienced colleagues about their opinions on industry standard software. I heard Trados is the industry standard, but I have also heard that DejaVu\'s features might be better than Trados\' ones. These CAT tools are pretty expensive, so I would like opinions from people who have been doing this for a while. Thanks a lot, I appreciate all your comments and help.

Collapse

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:57
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Mar 4, 2003

That\'s my personal choice. Good, fast, nice features and unexpensive. It is fully compatible with Trados.

But other translators will have a different opinion.

Bruno Capitelli
Bruno Capitelli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
SDLX Mar 4, 2003

I agrre with Tayfun, you can watch in the CAT Tools section of this site.

However my personal choice is SDLX

it\'s a reliable tool, weel known in the translation environment and it costs much less than Trados

Bruno

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Try OmegaT Mar 4, 2003

Hi Maria,

Why not try OmegaT?

It is free, so all you have to lose is a little time trying it out.

The latest version, 1.0.2, also supports the TMX translation memory format. So, if you decide after a while that OmegaT isn\'t for you, you can import the memories you have created into whatever tool you decide to buy.

If you can wait until the end of the week, version 1.0.2 will even have a user manual. (I promise!)
... See more
Hi Maria,

Why not try OmegaT?

It is free, so all you have to lose is a little time trying it out.

The latest version, 1.0.2, also supports the TMX translation memory format. So, if you decide after a while that OmegaT isn\'t for you, you can import the memories you have created into whatever tool you decide to buy.

If you can wait until the end of the week, version 1.0.2 will even have a user manual. (I promise!)

OmegaT is at

www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

Marc
Collapse

Andy Bell
Andy Bell  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
Norwegian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Wordfast Mar 4, 2003

Hi Maria,

I used SDLX Freelance for a couple of years, and still do use it on occasion - but I believe that Yves Champillon\'s Wordfast, which uses TMX translation memory format - as does Trados - is an infinetly better product - and considerably cheaper. My choice would be either of these, although in Wordfast\'s favour I\'d say that the glossary and memory functions are far superior to SDLX. Trados seems hugely pricey in my book!

HTH

<
... See more
Hi Maria,

I used SDLX Freelance for a couple of years, and still do use it on occasion - but I believe that Yves Champillon\'s Wordfast, which uses TMX translation memory format - as does Trados - is an infinetly better product - and considerably cheaper. My choice would be either of these, although in Wordfast\'s favour I\'d say that the glossary and memory functions are far superior to SDLX. Trados seems hugely pricey in my book!

HTH

Andy Bell
Collapse

Maria Forsyth
Maria Forsyth
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all for your replies, but what about the industry standard? Mar 4, 2003

Since I have not done this before I really don\'t know the formats the clients require. I have seen jobs posted that require Trados for example, so I was concerned that I would buy a CAT tool that was really good, but that would not be compatible or would not be what the majority of the agencies use? Is this really a problem, or are these other CAT tools able to export their translation memories in Trados format for example, I think DejaVu does that. Thanks again, Maria.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool is a better investment for a new translator?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »