Opening up an agency
Thread poster: transania (X)
transania (X)
transania (X)
English to Spanish
Mar 5, 2003

Dear collegues,

After some years in the translation field I have decided to open up a translation business. I just moved to the States so I really don\'t know how the legal thing works down here. Right now I am on the stage of creating my website. And after I have my website up, what? Is a website on the internet supposed to be a business? Do I have to claim that opening in any government agency? Would that be considered a business or a freelance work? Do I have to pay taxes
... See more
Dear collegues,

After some years in the translation field I have decided to open up a translation business. I just moved to the States so I really don\'t know how the legal thing works down here. Right now I am on the stage of creating my website. And after I have my website up, what? Is a website on the internet supposed to be a business? Do I have to claim that opening in any government agency? Would that be considered a business or a freelance work? Do I have to pay taxes for it? If I have to, what is the minimum income you are supposed to claim? I am from Spain and I know for a fact that trying to do the same thing there will cost you a lot of money. My boyfriend (who is american) says that he believes you don\'t need anything but to claim the income if it\'s over 50K a year. Is that true? I know there are a lot of questions and I would appreciate any help.
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to French
Don't put the cart before the horse... Mar 6, 2003

Preparing your website is a good thing. A good looking website is a MUST for a translator, but don\'t forget the essential thing : think ahead about the services you will advertise (only translation? interpreting? which language pair(s)?, what about rates?, etc.).

The first step I would recommend is making a few changes to your ProZ profile (add a photo/logo, insert a small résumé and/or service description, etc.).

While you build you website and prepare to advertise it any
... See more
Preparing your website is a good thing. A good looking website is a MUST for a translator, but don\'t forget the essential thing : think ahead about the services you will advertise (only translation? interpreting? which language pair(s)?, what about rates?, etc.).

The first step I would recommend is making a few changes to your ProZ profile (add a photo/logo, insert a small résumé and/or service description, etc.).

While you build you website and prepare to advertise it anywhere you can, your ProZ profile will be your online salesman

There is much, much more to say, but it\'s getting quite late over here (04:42 AM right now) and I need some much needed rest.

Don\'t hesitate to browse through ProZ forums and use the search function, you\'ll get tons of sound advice.

Regards,

Denis
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:09
Italian to English
+ ...
www.irs.gov Mar 6, 2003

Has everything you\'d ever want to know (and probably alot of stuff you didn\'t ) about starting a business.

Check the link \"Small Bus/Self-Employed\" then \"Starting a Business\" for more detail.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99336,00.html

HTH

R.

==

... See more
Has everything you\'d ever want to know (and probably alot of stuff you didn\'t ) about starting a business.

Check the link \"Small Bus/Self-Employed\" then \"Starting a Business\" for more detail.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99336,00.html

HTH

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-03-05 22:23, transania wrote:

Dear collegues,

After some years in the translation field I have decided to open up a translation business. I just moved to the States so I really don\'t know how the legal thing works down here. Right now I am on the stage of creating my website. And after I have my website up, what? Is a website on the internet supposed to be a business? Do I have to claim that opening in any government agency? Would that be considered a business or a freelance work? Do I have to pay taxes for it? If I have to, what is the minimum income you are supposed to claim? I am from Spain and I know for a fact that trying to do the same thing there will cost you a lot of money. My boyfriend (who is american) says that he believes you don\'t need anything but to claim the income if it\'s over 50K a year. Is that true? I know there are a lot of questions and I would appreciate any help.

Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 20:09
German to English
(C: Mar 8, 2003

\"My boyfriend (who is american) says that he believes you don\'t need anything but to claim the income if it\'s over 50K a year.\"

My gawd, what are we waiting for?!? Let\'s all move to the States!!!

transania (X)
transania (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot!!! Mar 8, 2003

Thank you very much to all of you. It has been very helpful.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
German to English
+ ...
Well... Mar 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-08 15:58, smalich wrote:

\"My boyfriend (who is american) says that he believes you don\'t need anything but to claim the income if it\'s over 50K a year.\"

My gawd, what are we waiting for?!? Let\'s all move to the States!!!

Except that you actually do have to pay taxes on (much) less than 50K as well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening up an agency

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »