Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
English to Russian
+ ...
May 14, 2014

Dear colleagues! Дорогие коллеги!
I'm a Russian translator and started to learn Greek recently after a long break. I am a beginner and it's still difficult for me to find what I need in Greek forums and sites (I know how to use google search, but as a beginner I find it difficult to evaluate results in a foreign language). Could you please give me links to good online modern Greek dictionaries? I am specifically interested in a general (but big) Greek-Russian and Russian-Gree
... See more
Dear colleagues! Дорогие коллеги!
I'm a Russian translator and started to learn Greek recently after a long break. I am a beginner and it's still difficult for me to find what I need in Greek forums and sites (I know how to use google search, but as a beginner I find it difficult to evaluate results in a foreign language). Could you please give me links to good online modern Greek dictionaries? I am specifically interested in a general (but big) Greek-Russian and Russian-Greek dictionary (but Greek/English would be fine as well). I found one here: http://ru.glosbe.com/ru/el/словарь, but I don't know whether it's big and good (some entries have been a bit confusing so far). I'd appreciate if you also give me links to relevant forum threads, if any.
Thanks in advance!
Natalia

[Редактировалось 2014-05-14 19:01 GMT]
Collapse

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
try this one May 15, 2014

Hi Natalia
Try this one - it should be a decent starting point (and there are direct links to forums with discussions about various terms/translations etc.).

http://www.wordreference.com/engr

[and of course you can also select Greek to English]

Best of luck in your endeavors!
Renata

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ωραία! May 15, 2014

Ευχαριστώ πολύ!
I've checked several words, and found that additional sample phrases and sentenses are very useful. Just what I need!
By the way, which dictionary is the most popular among professional Greek translators (advanced users, not beginners)? Do you use any other online dictionaries or some specific software (a dictionary from a CD/DVD or something one can download etc.)? I am interested in both free and commercial options.

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
So glad it was helpful May 20, 2014

A popular dictionary is Magenta, which you can get from: www.magenta.gr - I believe they also have various specialized dictionaries as well.

There is an excellent dictionary shop here in Athens called "Lexikopoleio" (http://www.lexikopoleio.com) which also has an online shop.
Their client service is excellent
... See more
A popular dictionary is Magenta, which you can get from: www.magenta.gr - I believe they also have various specialized dictionaries as well.

There is an excellent dictionary shop here in Athens called "Lexikopoleio" (http://www.lexikopoleio.com) which also has an online shop.
Their client service is excellent as well - so you can ask them for recommendations or about speciic editions.
They have everything available from very general to extremely subject-specific editions.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2014-05-20 07:21 GMT]
Collapse

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:23
Italian to Greek
+ ...
linguee.com (EN to GR) May 26, 2014

I use www.linguee.com.

No Russian to Greek there but since English to Greek is fine, I wanted to let you know.

Good luck!

Magda

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Looking for Greek dictionaries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »