Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Apr 1, 2008

Hi everyone!

I've been asked a quote for an interpretation job next August and I'm a bit at a loss, since it's not really my field (I guess I'll have to outsource it, eventually...). Anyway, this is what the (potential) client is asking:
- a whispering service for one of the guests at an international congress (outside Argentina, where I'm located). The congress lasts 3 days, and the schedule is from 9 AM to 19 PM.
- consecutive interpretation services when this same per
... See more
Hi everyone!

I've been asked a quote for an interpretation job next August and I'm a bit at a loss, since it's not really my field (I guess I'll have to outsource it, eventually...). Anyway, this is what the (potential) client is asking:
- a whispering service for one of the guests at an international congress (outside Argentina, where I'm located). The congress lasts 3 days, and the schedule is from 9 AM to 19 PM.
- consecutive interpretation services when this same person speaks before an audience.
Thanks to you all!
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Track down the potential vendors Apr 1, 2008

Apparently you don't have some people in the place where this conference is being held with whom you're on a good enough basis that you can call and say, "Would you be available to work at a conference at [wherever] on [whenever]?" If you did, you'd know what this person charges.

Most potential vendors would probably tell you they don't feel comfortable doing whisper interpretation 10 hours per day for three days (even if interrupted for consecutive interpreting when this person sp
... See more
Apparently you don't have some people in the place where this conference is being held with whom you're on a good enough basis that you can call and say, "Would you be available to work at a conference at [wherever] on [whenever]?" If you did, you'd know what this person charges.

Most potential vendors would probably tell you they don't feel comfortable doing whisper interpretation 10 hours per day for three days (even if interrupted for consecutive interpreting when this person speaks). You're likely to need two or more interpreters.

These services differ in cost from one vendor to another. If you're going to outsource it (because you seem to indicate you'd prefer not to spend 30 hours next to this person next August), you need to know what your costs are. Go from there.
Collapse

Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for the info, it's been useful.
Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quote on interpreting job

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »