Rates for simultaneous interpreting in Nevada and Arizona
Thread poster: Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 4, 2008

Hi,

I have been requested to quote for simultaneous interpreting in Nevada and Arizona for my language combination (to agencies).

I know I can quote a certain sum based on what I earn daily with my job at home, but I would like to have a feedback from those of you which work in these States as simultaneous interpreters, in order to have a better idea.

Furthermore, any other suggestions about rates (hourly/daily) and job-related traveling are welcome.
... See more
Hi,

I have been requested to quote for simultaneous interpreting in Nevada and Arizona for my language combination (to agencies).

I know I can quote a certain sum based on what I earn daily with my job at home, but I would like to have a feedback from those of you which work in these States as simultaneous interpreters, in order to have a better idea.

Furthermore, any other suggestions about rates (hourly/daily) and job-related traveling are welcome.

Thank you in advance,
Giuseppina
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Unlikely Apr 5, 2008

You are unlikely to get much specific feedback since you have an unusual language pair for the area, but for that same reason you can probably charge more when there is work for you. Just remember when you travel, time is money, so charge for you travel time. You know what you can get at home, so just use the same rate, plus travel time, plus expenses. Or maybe try to get a little more?

Is there enough demand for Italian in that area to keep you busy?

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Range Apr 5, 2008

Hi Henry,

Thank you for your answer. I don't hope to have a specific answer based on my language combination, but just an idea of what other colleagues ask in these areas, regardless of their language combination.

I guess that this is better than nothing...

Otherwise I guess I am going to be pretty pricey...

Giusi

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Why Not Apr 5, 2008

I live in El Paso, Texas and have normally been charging $400 a day but that goes back several years, I do not do a lot of that kind of work now but when I do, I think I will get more pricey also. After all, if I have translations going I'm making a lot more than that just staying home.

So get pricey; when they really need you, there will not be many of you to go around like there are Spanish interpreters.

Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Russian to English
+ ...
$75+/hour for simultaneous Apr 5, 2008

With at least a 2 hour minimum. The agencies generally charge $150+ with a 3 hour minimum, so charge no less than $75 without an ounce of guilt or self-doubt. You'll probably make more than your typical day of translating at home, but with simultaneous interpreting, you SHOULD make more.

Good luck.

Paola Dossan
Paola Dossan
Italy
Local time: 14:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Compare to Italy Apr 5, 2008

Hi Giuseppina,
I just wanted to contribute, though I live in Italy and not in the States.
The rate Mark was suggesting is even lower the rate a simultaneous interpreter gets when working for an agency in Italy (80 euro/h minimum): since I know pretty well that interpreting fees in my country are usually lower than those in the rest of Europe (but I had a chance to talk to a colleague who works in the US too and she confirmed the same), I would say you should ask for more.
In th
... See more
Hi Giuseppina,
I just wanted to contribute, though I live in Italy and not in the States.
The rate Mark was suggesting is even lower the rate a simultaneous interpreter gets when working for an agency in Italy (80 euro/h minimum): since I know pretty well that interpreting fees in my country are usually lower than those in the rest of Europe (but I had a chance to talk to a colleague who works in the US too and she confirmed the same), I would say you should ask for more.
In the same way, as Henry puts it, if the English-Italian combination is so rare in your area, then no reason to stay low!
Good luck!
Paola
Collapse

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers and thanks Apr 5, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

You are unlikely to get much specific feedback since you have an unusual language pair for the area, but for that same reason you can probably charge more when there is work for you. Just remember when you travel, time is money, so charge for you travel time. You know what you can get at home, so just use the same rate, plus travel time, plus expenses. Or maybe try to get a little more?

Is there enough demand for Italian in that area to keep you busy?

Henry, I don't get many requests as an interpreter, most of my jobs are translation jobs and come from Europe (so they are paid in Euros!). But on the other side I am one of the few professionals in Nevada (or possibly the only one?) working with this pair, so I also get requests for other neighboring States.

Paola, I am aware of rates in Italy, but it doesn't seem to work here. Once I quoted 70$ per hour to a prospective client and they never got back to me. Furthermore, I quoted 400$ per day to a direct Italian client and they probably got a heart attack!

Anyway, I am not going to sell my services cheap.
Thanks to everybody for the helpful hints!

Giuseppina

[Edited at 2008-04-05 13:49]

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Same Here Apr 5, 2008

I can normally make a lot more sitting at home before the computer than out traveling to interpreting jobs, so it often boils down to having a mini-working vacation with pay if I am so inclined. If I do it, that's how I usually take it. It can provide a welcome relief and some interesting assignments.

On many occasions I have lost money on such jobs, so I feel we are all justified in charging well for our services. If they do not like the tariff, then they can pass it up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for simultaneous interpreting in Nevada and Arizona

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »