California Administrative hearing exam
Thread poster: patriciat
patriciat
patriciat
Local time: 19:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

I would like to know if anybody is planning to take the California administrative hearing interpreter exam.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 19:01
English to Russian
+ ...
I took it once in 2005 Jun 16, 2008

I passed the written portion and got a mixture of 3's and 4's (with passing grade being 4) in oral portion.

I'm not planning to take it again - I'll stick with my preparation to the Court Certification Exam instead. The reason I took it in the first place is that I was told by a colleague that it was easier than the Court exam. Well, now I know that while my colleague did not intentionally misinform me, he was wrong nevertheless. Many years ago, Administrative Hearing Exam used t
... See more
I passed the written portion and got a mixture of 3's and 4's (with passing grade being 4) in oral portion.

I'm not planning to take it again - I'll stick with my preparation to the Court Certification Exam instead. The reason I took it in the first place is that I was told by a colleague that it was easier than the Court exam. Well, now I know that while my colleague did not intentionally misinform me, he was wrong nevertheless. Many years ago, Administrative Hearing Exam used to be easier indeed, but this is no longer the case. In fact, my impression was that it was more difficult - for the following reasons:

1. It was heavy on the terminology related to administrative law, especially workers comp - and, if you use ACEBO materials to prepare for the exam, you learn very little of this terminology.

2. I have never been very good with numbers in simultaneous interpreting, even though now, with years of practice, I'm getting better and better. Now, it was my impression that the simultaneous part of the Admin. exam was about 30% numbers. It sounded to me like [word] [word] [number] [word] [word] [number]. OK, I may be exagerating a bit, but I felt I was overwhelmed with numbers and could not keep up.

So, I decided to stick with the Court Exam instead. The price for the exam is the same; the effort it take to prepare is the same; and the benefits of passing in terms of where you can work are much greater.

I did not mean to discourage you, though, and I wish you luck in whatever exam you choose to take.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

California Administrative hearing exam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »