Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:25
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2008

Dear all,

I work as a translator in South-England (both employed and freelance, German diploma for English and Italian) and would like to make an interpreting degree for English-German.
I would appreciate any advice regarding classes/ colleges or other courses, which I could attend as a professional with fixed working hours from 9 to 5. Or could I just prepare myself at home and sit the exam? I attended a lot of interpreting classes at Uni, both simultaneous and consecutive,
... See more
Dear all,

I work as a translator in South-England (both employed and freelance, German diploma for English and Italian) and would like to make an interpreting degree for English-German.
I would appreciate any advice regarding classes/ colleges or other courses, which I could attend as a professional with fixed working hours from 9 to 5. Or could I just prepare myself at home and sit the exam? I attended a lot of interpreting classes at Uni, both simultaneous and consecutive, but we had to choose between a degree in translation or a degree in interpreting and I chose the former then. It would be great if you could give me some info about the costs as well.

Thanks a lot!

Regina

[Edited at 2008-07-07 12:37]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
Westminster, Leeds and Bath... Jul 7, 2008

As far as I know, there is the EMCI at Westminster which comes with a price tag of £4000 (postgraduate) or £6500 if you do a masters, the interpreter training at Leeds University and the training at Bath, with both a price tag of £4000.
Unlike their counterparts on the European mainland, which take two years, these trainings take one year and are pretty intensive.
There are no interpreter trainings after 5 p.m. Most trainers are freelance interpreters, who earn a fixed income by g
... See more
As far as I know, there is the EMCI at Westminster which comes with a price tag of £4000 (postgraduate) or £6500 if you do a masters, the interpreter training at Leeds University and the training at Bath, with both a price tag of £4000.
Unlike their counterparts on the European mainland, which take two years, these trainings take one year and are pretty intensive.
There are no interpreter trainings after 5 p.m. Most trainers are freelance interpreters, who earn a fixed income by giving interpreter training at interpreter schools and those are open during normal working hours. I have a hunch that although you don't get marks, your progress during the year is somewhere at the back of the head of your evaluators at the end of the year.Evaluators: your teachers and professional freelancers
Sit at home, not attending class and prepare yourself for the exams equals utopia.
In economics 101, you have such a thing at the "opportunity cost". This cost equals the price of your education and the time you put into that education (the money you do not earn).
You also have ROI (return on investment) or an answer to the question: how much more will I earn in comparison with a translator (your current activity) once I have graduated as an interpreter?

[Edited at 2008-07-07 19:38]
Collapse

Olga D.
Olga D.
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Monterey, Leeds and Westminster Jul 23, 2008

Williamson, thank you, for your information. It gave me the idea to change my preliminary plans.

I am a native speaker of Russian and my second language is English. I was thinking about entering Monterey Insitute for a consecutive interpretation course.
But as Williamson said courses in the UK last only 1 year and this is more interesting for me. (Is one year really enough for MA?) Also the fee in the USA Institute for one year is 2 times higher (30,000 USD for 1 year).
... See more
Williamson, thank you, for your information. It gave me the idea to change my preliminary plans.

I am a native speaker of Russian and my second language is English. I was thinking about entering Monterey Insitute for a consecutive interpretation course.
But as Williamson said courses in the UK last only 1 year and this is more interesting for me. (Is one year really enough for MA?) Also the fee in the USA Institute for one year is 2 times higher (30,000 USD for 1 year).

Still I think the price should not be considered in this case, ROI is more important:))

Dear colleagues, could you tell me about advantages and disadvantages of trainings in Monterey, London Westminster and Leeds? These 3 places seem to be the best schools for Russian-English as far as I understand (thinking about English speaking countries and not taking into account Ottawa, because Canada the country where I can hardly imagine living), since they are recommended by AIIC. Or may be there are some other good Universities that I missed? I actually do not now any other criteria besides AIIC (or EMCI) recommendation.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Only UK? Jul 25, 2008

Into Russian: only UK? Of course, everybody wants to go to ESIT-Paris (La Sorbonne)-price-tag 650 euros. Annual first year acceptance rate : 30 out of about 150 candidates.
"The mother" of all interpreter schools is ETI-Geneva (about 2500 euros):
Very competitive to get in: Out of 135 about 18 people are accepted divided over the 6 languages taught at the school.
Westminster: Here you pay more, but you are only 1 year out of earning money whereas in Paris it is three years on
... See more
Into Russian: only UK? Of course, everybody wants to go to ESIT-Paris (La Sorbonne)-price-tag 650 euros. Annual first year acceptance rate : 30 out of about 150 candidates.
"The mother" of all interpreter schools is ETI-Geneva (about 2500 euros):
Very competitive to get in: Out of 135 about 18 people are accepted divided over the 6 languages taught at the school.
Westminster: Here you pay more, but you are only 1 year out of earning money whereas in Paris it is three years on an average, meaning you loose two years of income.
London : A gamble in the sense that if you do not pass the Christmas exams, you are not allowed to continue your studies or start elsewhere.
If you pass that hurdle, the final exams are winner-takes-it all exams: "Pass" or "fail" with no second chance. A bit scary: I would not like to loose £5000+1 year of London-living expenses. These £5000 are business-expenses as they contribute to the personal development of your business. In some countries, the institutes are bound by law to give students a second chance.

I have experience with interpreting on the freelance market and am not so much into the ESIT, ETI, Westminster-hype. Once you are on the market, the customer does not care where you come from as long as you can deliver.

Apply economics 101 again: What do you get for your money: Consec and simulateous (+possibly a course about the E.U.). How much does it cost and where do I stand when I graduate. Is it worth to spend three years (master's thesis included) at the Sorbonne to have a title with a big name which is a good entry ticket to international institutions, but which is of little value on the "normal labour market". Or do I prefer to obtain a degree a bit faster and learn by doing? Fall flat on my face, loose 500 euros in a day, stand up, continue and go on?
What will my ROI be after say two, three years?
--*-*---
The director at Leeds is Russian. Mind you, for all these programs you need to know at least 2 foreign languages up to say the C1-level of the Council of Europe.
*-*-*-

[Edited at 2008-07-25 20:50]
Collapse

Olga D.
Olga D.
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Monterey? Jul 30, 2008

Williamson, thank you again!
Only UK and USA, because for studying in other countries I should have the same level of French/German as English,which is not the case..
As far as I understand both in Leeds and Westminster I can have only one B language (my second language is German, but it is "very passive", I read and understand quite well, though I have never had experience to communicate).

Do you know anything about Monterey?

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Leeds Sep 27, 2008

Williamson wrote:
--*-*---
The director at Leeds is Russian. Mind you, for all these programs you need to know at least 2 foreign languages up to say the C1-level of the Council of Europe.
*-*-*-

No, there is a route with one language in Leeds, though students are encouraged at least audit modules with their other languages. It is just common nowadays, that many EU students have more than two languages.

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Westminster is great for Russian Oct 3, 2008

I'm not saying this because I'm a Westminster graduate, but simply because it's true. The Russian-English teachers at Westminster are outstanding interpreters and excellent teachers (but very demanding). Westminster can accept you with only two languages but then your English has to be very strong.
German would be an advantage, but if you don't feel comfortable enough you'd better leave it for later.

Maria Concetta Masciarelli
Maria Concetta Masciarelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Westminster MA Oct 6, 2008

Hello! I graduated at Westminster University in 2006. I completed the MA in Conference Interpreting techniques (English and French into Italian) and I really have to say it took months of hard work to pass it. Teachers are all top interpreters, the course is very demanding (some of my colleagues were Russian but they failed).
It is very expensive but you should see it as an investment and, anyway, you could be eligible for a bursary (visit EMCI website).

Good luck!...
See more
Hello! I graduated at Westminster University in 2006. I completed the MA in Conference Interpreting techniques (English and French into Italian) and I really have to say it took months of hard work to pass it. Teachers are all top interpreters, the course is very demanding (some of my colleagues were Russian but they failed).
It is very expensive but you should see it as an investment and, anyway, you could be eligible for a bursary (visit EMCI website).

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting training in the UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »