Chinese/English Interpreter new to UK - any tips?
Thread poster: JLLTranslation
JLLTranslation
JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
French to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2008

Hi,

I have a good friend who's Chinese and an interpreter (Mandarin / English) and has just moved to the UK and would love some tips on finding work.

As I'm a French & Italian to English translator, I don't feel I have the knowledge to advise her so thought I would ask my esteemed ProZ friends...... (that's you!)

She lives in Hampshire and can get into London so I hope that would be the main area of opportunity.

Are there websites like ProZ t
... See more
Hi,

I have a good friend who's Chinese and an interpreter (Mandarin / English) and has just moved to the UK and would love some tips on finding work.

As I'm a French & Italian to English translator, I don't feel I have the knowledge to advise her so thought I would ask my esteemed ProZ friends...... (that's you!)

She lives in Hampshire and can get into London so I hope that would be the main area of opportunity.

Are there websites like ProZ that concentrate on interpreting where she could see available jobs? (I've looked here in ProZ and there isn't a single Chinese interpreting job sadly)

Any other typical sources of work?

Many thanks in advance,
Jo
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your friend needs to make herself known to the industry Jul 28, 2008

Hi Jo,

I don't recommend your friend to wait until jobs are advertised here or anywhere else.

She really needs to contact all those companies that offer the services she can supply - you can find several on this site that offer interpreting services in her languages.

She should also join ProZ (whether as a full paid-up member or just a registered user), so she has her profile there and can be contacted by anyone who has a need.

Plus, there is m
... See more
Hi Jo,

I don't recommend your friend to wait until jobs are advertised here or anywhere else.

She really needs to contact all those companies that offer the services she can supply - you can find several on this site that offer interpreting services in her languages.

She should also join ProZ (whether as a full paid-up member or just a registered user), so she has her profile there and can be contacted by anyone who has a need.

Plus, there is membership of translators' organisations to consider.

I don't think this is really the place to recommend ProZ competitors' sites, but I would just repeat what I said in the title of the post - she must make herself known rather than waiting for advertised jobs. I don't know what percentage of jobs are advertised on the internet, but I can't imagine it's very high.

All the best to your friend and hope to see her on the site soon.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese/English Interpreter new to UK - any tips?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »