Which uni is better, Interpreting Chinese/English?
Thread poster: VivianZhou
VivianZhou
VivianZhou
English to Chinese
Aug 18, 2008

Hello everyone! I am a Chinese student who wants to study Interpreting. Now i have two choices, either studying Translation and Interpretation in the University of Manchester or Interpreting, Translation and Diplomacy in the Uni of Westminster. I heard the translation program in manc is pretty good , but i do want to study interpreting. Would you please give me any suggestion of these two choices? Thanks a lot!!

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:07
Portuguese to English
Question of reputation Aug 18, 2008

Although I don't know anything about the two different courses, Manchester University has a very good reputation, while Westminster University (which was previously only a polytechnic) is very near the bottom of the league table of British universities. I imagine that your future employers will be more impressed by a Manchester University degree than one from Westminster.

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
Westminster Aug 18, 2008

I would go with Westminster. It has an extremely good reputation where interpreting is concerned. I know that their PG Diploma/MA in Conference Interpreting is very highly regarded. If you haven't already, check this site
http://interpreters.freeforums.org/portal.php

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:07
Flemish to English
+ ...
2 foreign languages Aug 19, 2008

For interpreting, you need two foreign languages>Chinese.
For non Chinese, Westminster is part of the EMCI-consortium.

[Edited at 2008-08-19 07:10]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excuse me Aug 19, 2008

Neither Manchester (MATIS programme) nor Salford require 2 foreign languages>Chinese.

Westminster is indeed part of EMCI, which has this requirement. In addition, EMCI is for EU citizens. I'm not aware whether you can enroll in Westminster outside the EMCI programme, but I imagine (as in many other EMCI-sponsored facilities) that this is possible.

EU citizens who are native English speakers with Chinese also have the opportunity to travel to China and study in Beijing (
... See more
Neither Manchester (MATIS programme) nor Salford require 2 foreign languages>Chinese.

Westminster is indeed part of EMCI, which has this requirement. In addition, EMCI is for EU citizens. I'm not aware whether you can enroll in Westminster outside the EMCI programme, but I imagine (as in many other EMCI-sponsored facilities) that this is possible.

EU citizens who are native English speakers with Chinese also have the opportunity to travel to China and study in Beijing ( http://sis.uibe.edu.cn/zhaosheng/zs.htm ) or Shanghai ( http://giit.shisu.edu.cn/interpretation/zh/interpretation.htm ) under grant (see announcement reproduced below). You may want to check out the programs at those schools.

Subject: EU Scholarship Programme for European Interpreter trainees with Chinese – Call for applications

As part of the EU Chinese Interpreter Training Programme 2006-2009, the European Commission/DG Interpretation intends to re-launch the scholarship scheme for EU citizens who possess a thorough knowledge of Chinese for the academic year 2008-9. A small number of scholarships will be available for successful candidates who possess
• a high standard of Chinese (colloquial and formal registers, written and spoken)
• native-speaker level English
• good oral communication skills, indicating an aptitude for interpreting
• good general knowledge and knowledge of current affairs
Scholarships will be awarded for study in China on recognised professional conference interpreting courses at the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing (http://sis.uibe.edu.cn/zhaosheng/zs.htm) or at Shanghai International Studies University (http://giit.shisu.edu.cn/interpretation/zh/interpretation.htm)
DG Interpretation cooperates with these institutions and is represented at their graduation exams.
The scholarship will amount to €25.000 over two years to cover travel, course fees and subsistence. Scholars will undertake to sit an inter-institutional accreditation test to be organised after completion of their studies and, if successful, to give the EU institutions first call upon their services for a period of three years.
Application criteria

In order to apply, candidates should:

-be EU citizens
- by the time the course in China starts, hold a first university degree or equivalent, preferably obtained within the last 6 years
-possess native-speaker level English
-possess a comprehensive understanding of Mandarin Chinese (written and oral) across a range of subject areas and registers
-speak fluent Mandarin Chinese across a range of subject areas and registers
-possess a talent for communication
-possess broad general knowledge and good knowledge of current affairs

Application procedure
Candidates fitting the above profile are invited to submit applications in writing, as of 10 December 2007, explaining their interest in the scholarship and enclosing a short CV and relevant documentation attesting, in particular, their language-knowledge and educational achievements, along with any other relevant qualifications and experience, to:

Paul Brennan
European Commission
DG Interpretation-China correspondent
Office: C107 – 3/72
B-1049 Brussels

Scanned applications may be sent by e-mail to:

[email protected]

Applications should contain an e-mail address and a daytime telephone number.
The deadline for applications is 17 February, 2008.

Time-table and Selection procedure
• Applications will be screened by a Selection Board comprising EU officials and practising interpreters, assisted by appointed assessors.
• As part of the screening process, applicants may be contacted by telephone
• The Selection Board will inform applicants, by the end of March 2008 at the latest, whether or not they have been short-listed for interview.
• Interviews, incorporating a simple interpreting aptitude-test, some sight translation and EU knowledge questions, shall be held by the Selection Board, assisted by appointed assessors, in principle in the latter part of April, in Brussels and, possibly, in China, depending on the number of applications.
• Upon completion of the interviews, the Board shall draw up a short-list of eligible candidates, in order of merit. Scholarships shall be awarded to candidates on the list, depending on budgetary availability.
• Interviewees will be notified of the outcome by the end of May at the latest, allowing successful candidates to begin training in autumn 2008.

The Selection Board's decision is final. The names of successful candidates and the members of the selection committee shall be posted on the DG Interpretation pages on the Europa website (http://ec.europa.eu/comm/scic/index.htm ).

Please note that:

• DG Interpretation scholars may not benefit at the same time from other bursaries or allowances offered by the European Union.
• Abandoning the course voluntarily may make you liable to repay all or part of the scholarship
• The terms and conditions of payment of the scholarship will be notified to successful candidates in writing.
• Acceptance of the scholarship must be confirmed within two weeks (according to date of postage) ; otherwise the offer will lapse

This is a unique opportunity for suitably qualified and talented students to train as a conference interpreter in China. Our aim is to enhance the stock of qualified European interpreters with Chinese. We await applications with interest.

Queries may be addressed to :

[email protected]
Collapse

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:07
English to French
+ ...
English/Chinese is possible at Westminster Oct 3, 2008

Westminster has been offering courses for Chinese-English interpreters for the second year now. Only those two languages are required, provided they are both active of course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which uni is better, Interpreting Chinese/English?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »