Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:30
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 27, 2008

I´m looking to refresh my conference (simultaneous) interpreting skills with some kind of intensive (short) course for conference interpreters.
During my studies as translator/interpreter I had been trained in simultaneous and consecutive interpreting, but haven´t worked as an interpreter until very recently, when I did some voluntary interpreting.
I´m not interested in doing postgraduate studies for a whole academic year, but rather in a one/two week(s) or maybe a month long int
... See more
I´m looking to refresh my conference (simultaneous) interpreting skills with some kind of intensive (short) course for conference interpreters.
During my studies as translator/interpreter I had been trained in simultaneous and consecutive interpreting, but haven´t worked as an interpreter until very recently, when I did some voluntary interpreting.
I´m not interested in doing postgraduate studies for a whole academic year, but rather in a one/two week(s) or maybe a month long intensive course to get into simultaneous interpreting again.
If someone knows where I could take such a course in Scotland (Edinburgh or Glasgow) that would be brilliant, however, I would also consider moving to London for up to a month.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Manuela
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Cambridge Sep 27, 2008

Hi Manuela,

Sounds like this course is made for you: http://www.cciconline.net/ Pretty dear though.

ITI organises two-day courses in January in Leeds, at least they organised it last January and as far as I understand this is a sort of annual training event. I attended the course eventhough I am not a member of ITI and it is very good, but too short in my opinion to refresh the skil
... See more
Hi Manuela,

Sounds like this course is made for you: http://www.cciconline.net/ Pretty dear though.

ITI organises two-day courses in January in Leeds, at least they organised it last January and as far as I understand this is a sort of annual training event. I attended the course eventhough I am not a member of ITI and it is very good, but too short in my opinion to refresh the skills.

Best regards,
Natalia
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 21:30
Heriot-Watt Sep 27, 2008

Hello Manuela,

The Heriot-Watt University is located in Edinburgh and, from what I've heard, has a pretty good reputation in the field of interpreting. I know that they organize short courses during the summer (I considered attending one of them, but ended up somewhere else) but don't now about the rest of the year. This is the link to
... See more
Hello Manuela,

The Heriot-Watt University is located in Edinburgh and, from what I've heard, has a pretty good reputation in the field of interpreting. I know that they organize short courses during the summer (I considered attending one of them, but ended up somewhere else) but don't now about the rest of the year. This is the link to their summer school: http://www.hw.ac.uk/langWWW/english/courses/tr_ger_eng.html

Best,
Eva
Collapse

Virginia De Klerk
Virginia De Klerk  Identity Verified
South Africa
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Also Looking for Courses for Conference Interpreters Oct 1, 2008

Hi Manuela

I am very interested in your enquiry as I am in a similar situation.
I am from South Africa and during my stay in Edinburgh until the end of 2008 I would like to attend some courses/training in interpreting.
I have been unable to find something yet. Better luck from your side?
Heriot-Watt had a good course in August, and what they have planned for this term does not include Portuguese (my language).
Regards
Virginia

Gunel Shukurova
Gunel Shukurova  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 00:30
Russian to English
+ ...
I am also interested in conference itnerpreting Apr 26, 2014

Hello.
Thank you for opening this topic. I am also interested in simultaneous/conference interpreting. I graduated University of Foreign Languages (the faculty of English linguistics, bachelor and master) in my country, Azerbaijan in 2005. Since that time I have been working as a translator and consecutive itnerpreter. But it is evident for me that self-learning the principles and rules also techniques of interpreting (both consecutive and simultaneous) will be very difficult. I am interes
... See more
Hello.
Thank you for opening this topic. I am also interested in simultaneous/conference interpreting. I graduated University of Foreign Languages (the faculty of English linguistics, bachelor and master) in my country, Azerbaijan in 2005. Since that time I have been working as a translator and consecutive itnerpreter. But it is evident for me that self-learning the principles and rules also techniques of interpreting (both consecutive and simultaneous) will be very difficult. I am interested in maximum 1-1.5 year course of conference.
My questions are: can I apply to master degree in simultaneous interpreting without bachelor degree in translation?
I am 32. Is it possible for me to benefit from any scholarship to get education in UK?
I am grateful for your answers in advance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(Short) courses for conference interpreters in the UK

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »