How to build your simultaneous interpreting skills?
Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2008

I'm pursuing a credential as a court interpreter for my state. There are two types of court interpreters for Connecticut: appointed and certified. After some self-reflection, I decided to first pursue appointment instead of certification.

Here's why: To become a certified interpreter in my state, you need to pass an additional oral examination. That exam includes simultaneous interpreting. I'm not yet comfortable with simultaneous interpreting, so I intend to pursue that extra
... See more
I'm pursuing a credential as a court interpreter for my state. There are two types of court interpreters for Connecticut: appointed and certified. After some self-reflection, I decided to first pursue appointment instead of certification.

Here's why: To become a certified interpreter in my state, you need to pass an additional oral examination. That exam includes simultaneous interpreting. I'm not yet comfortable with simultaneous interpreting, so I intend to pursue that extra part later. (I can consecutively interpret or sight translate perfectly well, though.)

That said, how can I build my simultaneous interpreting skills? I have one idea, but I would love to hear more suggestions.

My idea is to start recording simple sentences and simultaneously interpreting them. I will work my way up to longer ones as I become more capable.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-06 07:39]
Collapse

Christina Courtright
Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ACEBO and similar prerecorded material Oct 5, 2008

For court interpreting in the US don't hesitate - get the ACEBO self-study CD set for simultaneous:
http://www.acebo.com/e21.htm
If you are sure you only need simultaneous, that one is available separately.
The teaching goes in stages so you build your skill gradually using realistic texts. It includes a book to guide you as well. Be sure you record yourself on a separate device so you can
... See more
For court interpreting in the US don't hesitate - get the ACEBO self-study CD set for simultaneous:
http://www.acebo.com/e21.htm
If you are sure you only need simultaneous, that one is available separately.
The teaching goes in stages so you build your skill gradually using realistic texts. It includes a book to guide you as well. Be sure you record yourself on a separate device so you can play back and see how you're coming along. It's no good if you just plod along without hearing yourself.

Other good materials available from the University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation:
http://nci.arizona.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=59
I don't think you can separate out simultaneous mode in these materials.

Finally, if you ever get the chance to attend a seminar, try that too. I don't know what you may find in Connecticut, but contact your colleagues using the ProZ interpreter location map and see if there's anyone who can help you there.

Good luck!!
Collapse

mystymy
mystymy
Spanish to English
+ ...
Practice at no cost Oct 6, 2008

A good way to practice for no cost is to watch the news and interpret the news or maybe for legal work Court TV or C-span.

Since there are foreign language stations or programs on the cable or satellite channels, you can work into your pairs. Not the best way, but many interpreters I know and work with do this

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to build your simultaneous interpreting skills?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »