Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2008

When I interpret, I use the formal case of 'you.' I'm better off using this case, right?

Personally, I don't like using 'tu' (you, informal in Spanish) when interpreting. That seems too much like devaluing or disrespect.

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Usted Nov 14, 2008

You should always use "usted", unless asked to use "tú".

And usually, they will address you in the formal, as "usted", so it would be awful to use the informal form while you are being adressed formally...

You are in a formal situation and should use formal address...

thescarid
thescarid
Local time: 02:25
French to English
+ ...
But be sure of the audience Nov 14, 2008

When you are translating you should also be aware of the relationships of the persons you are translating for. It is true you are in a professional situation, but it is worth considering the position of those for whom you are interpreting. Cheers

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
I was taught to use usted. Nov 14, 2008

When I did a business interpreting course during my diploma they always taught me to use the formal- but when learning to speak Spanish beforehand I had always used the informal. This caused me a lot of problems - I was always switching back to informal without realising it. I worked on this and when it came to exam I was going really well until, right at the end, I slipped up and used 'tu'! They marked me down really severly for it giving me just 50% (the lowest pass grade), which I thought was... See more
When I did a business interpreting course during my diploma they always taught me to use the formal- but when learning to speak Spanish beforehand I had always used the informal. This caused me a lot of problems - I was always switching back to informal without realising it. I worked on this and when it came to exam I was going really well until, right at the end, I slipped up and used 'tu'! They marked me down really severly for it giving me just 50% (the lowest pass grade), which I thought was unfair because IMO the ability to communicate is the most important thing. However, my teachers attached a lot of importance to it.Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so Nov 14, 2008

That's what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation.

Heidi C wrote:

You should always use "usted", unless asked to use "tú".

And usually, they will address you in the formal, as "usted", so it would be awful to use the informal form while you are being adressed formally...

You are in a formal situation and should use formal address...

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
many situations Nov 14, 2008

Just to add a little colour to the topic:

In Argentina, some people could get offended if you use “USTED”.

Mostly with women, they could consider you are treating them as old since in Argentina, “usted” is only used in extremely formal cases (a judge, the president) or, with older people.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Usted puede Nov 14, 2008

siempre "say you to me".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using the formal 'you' while interpreting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »