Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2008

Hello all,

I have been translating for years however, the bulk of my profesional work outside of pure translating has been in business using French in everything from presentations, board meetings, negotiations and day-to-day communications with colleagues and clients.

What is the best course of action to train for interpreting? What is the best qualification to have?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
Flemish to English
+ ...
2 cents Dec 1, 2008

rebeccalyne wrote:

Hello all,

I have been translating for years however, the bulk of my profesional work outside of pure translating has been in business using French in everything from presentations, board meetings, negotiations and day-to-day communications with colleagues and clients.

What is the best course of action to train for interpreting? What is the best qualification to have?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Conference interpreting.
Try to get into
1.ESIT (accepts one foreign language) and ETI (2 foreign languages)=lots of candidates, few admitted.
2.Westminster University (2 foreign languages) and Monterrey
3. University of Leeds (2 foreign languages).

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:52
English to Russian
+ ...
University of Leeds possible with one language Dec 1, 2008

Williamson wrote:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/banner/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=200708&P=MA-CI&TS/L1

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if? Dec 1, 2008

Natalia Elo wrote:

Williamson wrote:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/banner/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=200708&P=MA-CI&TS/L1

What if you don't want a full degree program? Is there any other option?

Catriona Thomas
Catriona Thomas
Local time: 22:52
German to English
Transition from Translator to Interpreter Dec 3, 2008

I would look around and see if you can qualify without having to do a full degree course (sometimes it is simply not viable). Having worked internally as an interpreter in the legal field for my former employer, I was able to participate in 2 intensive interpreting courses in Germany at the language faculty in Germersheim, University of Mainz, following which I passed the exams as an officially qualified - "staatlich geprüfte" - interpreter, as an external candidate. It is not a university degr... See more
I would look around and see if you can qualify without having to do a full degree course (sometimes it is simply not viable). Having worked internally as an interpreter in the legal field for my former employer, I was able to participate in 2 intensive interpreting courses in Germany at the language faculty in Germersheim, University of Mainz, following which I passed the exams as an officially qualified - "staatlich geprüfte" - interpreter, as an external candidate. It is not a university degree, but neither is my translator's qualification and I had to compromise due to family obligations. Herriott Watt University in Edinburgh would have considered me for a degree in conference interpreting with just one foreign language, but I simply cannot take a year out and get there. However, it is important to have the papers, especially when working in Germany. You could also see what the Chartered Institute of Linguists in London has on offer in the way of intensive qualifying courses. Sometimes a summer course will give you a kick-start and open up other options.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning from Translator to Interpreter

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »