Interpreting at a surgery appointment..Any different?
Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2008

Tomorrow, I have an interpreting assignment. As you figured from the headline, I am interpreting for a patient that has surgery. It's not for a major procudeure, so I won't be in the hospital all day.

How is interpreting at a surgery different from, say, a checkup?

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 17:04
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
No difference Dec 8, 2008

Hi Sara,
I have had such interpretation experiences in the past for smaller surgery procedures but didn't notice any difference with other interpretation situations in the health care world.
Specific circumstances like these are the natural guide of all involved people (including the interpreter) through the communication process.
It is very important to "get the most of it" i.e. identifying all verbal and non verbal information and just transmit it.
Last but not least:
... See more
Hi Sara,
I have had such interpretation experiences in the past for smaller surgery procedures but didn't notice any difference with other interpretation situations in the health care world.
Specific circumstances like these are the natural guide of all involved people (including the interpreter) through the communication process.
It is very important to "get the most of it" i.e. identifying all verbal and non verbal information and just transmit it.
Last but not least: stay neutral and professional, that's the best way you can help.

Good luck!
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Anesthesia? Dec 8, 2008

Sara Senft wrote:

Tomorrow, I have an interpreting assignment. As you figured from the headline, I am interpreting for a patient that has surgery. It's not for a major procudeure, so I won't be in the hospital all day.

How is interpreting at a surgery different from, say, a checkup?

Does this procedure involve the patient being unconscious due to anesthesia? If so, your presence may not be required after the anesthetic is administered. I'd recommend straightening out that issue before you go.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 08:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
Details (and early) about what kind of surgical procedure is involved Dec 8, 2008

Greetings.

It may be most helpful for you to contact the clinic -- preferably, contact the actual surgeon who will perform that operation -- and get details (and early) about what kind of surgical procedure is involved, plus post-operative instructions.

That initial information would help you become familiar with the medical terms involved and their clarified/simplified equivalent terms in your L2.

Since that surgeon bears significant liabilities if any ins
... See more
Greetings.

It may be most helpful for you to contact the clinic -- preferably, contact the actual surgeon who will perform that operation -- and get details (and early) about what kind of surgical procedure is involved, plus post-operative instructions.

That initial information would help you become familiar with the medical terms involved and their clarified/simplified equivalent terms in your L2.

Since that surgeon bears significant liabilities if any instructions or related information on medical treatment or procedures are misinterpreted, he/she will appreciate your forethought and interest, as will the patient and accompanying family members.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent advice Dec 9, 2008

Stephen Franke wrote:

Greetings.

Since that surgeon bears significant liabilities if any instructions or related information on medical treatment or procedures are misinterpreted, he/she will appreciate your forethought and interest, as will the patient and accompanying family members.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian
San Pedro, California

I couldn't agree more - this is really a case where you have to 'do your homework'

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting at a surgery appointment..Any different?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »