Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 9, 2009

I was wondering has anyone else found themselves in this situation; I'm an NRPSI interpreter based in a rural location, with an interim status. Although I travel long distances for my assignments, obviously travel time doesn't count. I am really going to struggle to get the 400 hours required for full status in a year or so and, according to the regulations, will therefore be delisted. Use of Language Line has further restricted work.
I clearly provide a necessary service given the loc
... See more
I was wondering has anyone else found themselves in this situation; I'm an NRPSI interpreter based in a rural location, with an interim status. Although I travel long distances for my assignments, obviously travel time doesn't count. I am really going to struggle to get the 400 hours required for full status in a year or so and, according to the regulations, will therefore be delisted. Use of Language Line has further restricted work.
I clearly provide a necessary service given the locations of the requests but this presumably will not be considered.

So, has this happened to you or anyone you know and what happened?
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:47
Hungarian to English
+ ...
agency work? Mar 9, 2009

Hi Susanna! I just registered a bit more than two months ago but I understand your concern. I'm registered with Spanish and I have had exactly zero assignments through the NRPSI since I signed up.

You have 5 years to get the 400 hours, I'm not sure how far you are into it.

What I do is work through agencies - they do give me regular work, although it's almost always one-hour assignments, so I'm beginning to wonder whether even 5 years would be enough to get 400 hours.
... See more
Hi Susanna! I just registered a bit more than two months ago but I understand your concern. I'm registered with Spanish and I have had exactly zero assignments through the NRPSI since I signed up.

You have 5 years to get the 400 hours, I'm not sure how far you are into it.

What I do is work through agencies - they do give me regular work, although it's almost always one-hour assignments, so I'm beginning to wonder whether even 5 years would be enough to get 400 hours. And of course agencies pay very little so I don't know how sustainable it will be from the financial point of view either.

I'm not sure how your location has an impact on the amount of work you get. I live in London but regularly get approached for work in other parts of the country - that is with Hungarian though, not Spanish, so I suspect the real decisive factor is your language and how many other interpreters work in that pair. If clients are desperate they would call you no matter where you live.

I'm interested to know what the NRPSI say about this, if you get a response from them please keep us posted.

[Edited at 2009-03-09 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI - delisting through insufficient hours

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »