Thread poster: melTwardawa
melTwardawa
melTwardawa
Local time: 12:53
English to German
+ ...
Mar 19, 2009

Hi all

I was wondering if there is anybody who has done the Health option of the DPSI and can tell me something about the benefits.
I did the Law Option and joined the National Register a few months ago. I'd say it was definitely paid off, as I have had a number of jobs for various police forces and courts. I enjoy the work, but it's not enough yet to make a living.
I would really like to widen the range of public service interpreting I do and would like to get into int
... See more
Hi all

I was wondering if there is anybody who has done the Health option of the DPSI and can tell me something about the benefits.
I did the Law Option and joined the National Register a few months ago. I'd say it was definitely paid off, as I have had a number of jobs for various police forces and courts. I enjoy the work, but it's not enough yet to make a living.
I would really like to widen the range of public service interpreting I do and would like to get into interpreting in the health sector.

In your experience, is the DPSI a good step to achieve this? Is it as widely requested/desired as the law option?

I also had a look at the community interpreting courses at the Mary Ward centre, but the courses don't seem to focus on the health sector as much as I would like...

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
no DPSI needed Mar 19, 2009

Hi,

I am a DPSI qualified interpreter and just like you did the Law Option. I have been however working in the Public Health Sector for almost 4 years which I enjoy more than working for courts and the police. There is no requirement to pass the DPSI to be able to work in medical settings. However, it always helps to expand your vocabulary as you will find yourself in very challenging situations. From my own experience I can tell you it is not worth taking the Health Option just for
... See more
Hi,

I am a DPSI qualified interpreter and just like you did the Law Option. I have been however working in the Public Health Sector for almost 4 years which I enjoy more than working for courts and the police. There is no requirement to pass the DPSI to be able to work in medical settings. However, it always helps to expand your vocabulary as you will find yourself in very challenging situations. From my own experience I can tell you it is not worth taking the Health Option just for the sake of having the qualification. Most of the hospitals and other medical facilities never use freelance interpreters. They usually have contracts with local translation agencies who provide interpreters on a regular basis. That way it is easier and keeps everyone happy.
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Ask clients Mar 19, 2009

Hi,

If I were you I would ask my potential customers (eg. NHS Trusts) what they require. Phone around - it is less costly than DPSI - ask who deals with interpreting (sometimes it would be an agency, sometimes an in-house service).

Also, you can check the Nrpsi website and the recent newsletter from the chair, which contains a list of NRPSI subscribers - if I read the list correctly - not a single one is from the health sector.

Unlike in courts and polic
... See more
Hi,

If I were you I would ask my potential customers (eg. NHS Trusts) what they require. Phone around - it is less costly than DPSI - ask who deals with interpreting (sometimes it would be an agency, sometimes an in-house service).

Also, you can check the Nrpsi website and the recent newsletter from the chair, which contains a list of NRPSI subscribers - if I read the list correctly - not a single one is from the health sector.

Unlike in courts and police, there is no official guidance to use DPSI-qualified interpreters in hospitals. And it will take you far longer to recoup the investment in the Health DPSI.

Good Luck!

Kasia
Collapse

melTwardawa
melTwardawa
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 20, 2009

I guess I better save the money then and start asking around and chasing agencies.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

mel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI, Health option

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »