Emma Hradecka (X)
Emma Hradecka (X)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:41
English to Czech
+ ...
May 26, 2009

Hello everyone,
I have just received my first Skype interpreting assignment and I would like to ask you for tips (even the most basic and obvious ones are welcome). I occasionally do telephone interpreting in my part-time job in a company I work for as a translator/interpreter - we use loudspeaker and do a consecutive after several sentences. I know the team I work for quite well, so the atmosphere is always relaxed, but I wonder - are there any standardised procedures (esp. at the beginni
... See more
Hello everyone,
I have just received my first Skype interpreting assignment and I would like to ask you for tips (even the most basic and obvious ones are welcome). I occasionally do telephone interpreting in my part-time job in a company I work for as a translator/interpreter - we use loudspeaker and do a consecutive after several sentences. I know the team I work for quite well, so the atmosphere is always relaxed, but I wonder - are there any standardised procedures (esp. at the beginning / end of the call), anything I should be careful of or any other useful advice?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Emma
Collapse

UT4UT
UT4UT
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:41
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Some teeps May 26, 2009

Hello Emma,
I'd recommend you at the beginning of your skype-interpreting announce something like “Emma’s here” or if someone “passes mic” to you just say "Thanks Jim (or whatever name)" at the end of your translation you can say "over" or if you pass mic to someone else, you can say “over to Jim (or whatever name)”.
Hope those tips will be of some use too.
Good luck!
Nick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype interpreting - tips needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »