Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
Local time: 17:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 16, 2009

Hello!

I'm looking into the certification process for healthcare interpreters in California and the more I'm reading, the more confused I get. Where should I begin? Can anyone advise me on where to start?
Ideally I'm looking for a training program and then getting certified. At least that was the plan before I started looking more into the matter. Can I just go and take a certification test without formal training??? Please help!!!!

Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No one can help? Jun 17, 2009

I am sure there are experienced medical interpreters from California on this forum. The language pair doesn't matter (I'm looking to get certified for English-Russian) since the procedure should be the same. Please, any kind of help is appreciated.

Christina Courtright
Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
contact the California Health Care Interpreters Association Jun 17, 2009

http://www.interpreterschia.org/index.htm

I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone would know, it would be this association.

Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the link! Jun 17, 2009

Still not clear about the certification procedure. I guess I'd have to contact them to find out more information. Thank you again!

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Late answer Aug 29, 2009

Hi, Svetlana,

Somehow I missed you question before.

As far as I know, there is no medical certification in English-Russian pair in California at the present time. In fact, I don't know of such certification in any language at the present. There used to be a Medical Certification exam in English - Spanish pair in California, but it has not been given for about two years, and there are no plans to resume giving it.

Which leaves you with only one option to
... See more
Hi, Svetlana,

Somehow I missed you question before.

As far as I know, there is no medical certification in English-Russian pair in California at the present time. In fact, I don't know of such certification in any language at the present. There used to be a Medical Certification exam in English - Spanish pair in California, but it has not been given for about two years, and there are no plans to resume giving it.

Which leaves you with only one option to become certified: that is, get a court certification. You might think "but it doesn't make sense, what I want is to work in the hospitals, not in the court!" - and you will be right, but that's the way it is.

Eventually, the situation has to change. If the law mandates hospitals to provide interpreters, then it logically follows that some sort of certification must exist. And eventually, it will exist - except, if I were you, I wouldn't wait for that "eventually" and just take the court exam.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Russian court certification.

Good luck!
Collapse

Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 30, 2009

Thank you Alexandra! I appreciate your help!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 20:53
Romanian to English
+ ...
Bridging the Gap medical interpreter Sep 1, 2009

In order to become a medical interpreter, you can check "bridging the gap medical interpreter" and find out if California has such a program; from what i heard, each state has such a program.
good luck!

Svetlana Nash
Svetlana Nash
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 1, 2009

lee roth wrote:

In order to become a medical interpreter, you can check "bridging the gap medical interpreter" and find out if California has such a program; from what i heard, each state has such a program.
good luck!

Thank you for sharing information!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Healthcare Interpreter Certification in California

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »