...does exist any on-line interpreting school?
Thread poster: mandylion07
mandylion07
mandylion07
Local time: 20:31
Jul 10, 2009

Hi!!!
I'm studying interpreting in Chile and i'm moving to France, I want to know if is there any chance to still my studying there as english, spanish and french interpreting. I've thought in something like on-line lessons in case that i couldnt find, but i also think it isnt good as presence lessons as i've got now. Please, any help in this searching i'll be thankful!!!

[Edited at 2009-07-10 02:06 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
Google Translate English Jul 10, 2009

mandylion07 wrote:

Hi!!!
I'm studying interpreting in Chile and i'm moving to France, I want to know if is there any chance to still my studying there as english, spanish and french interpreting. I've thought in something like on-line lessons in case that i couldnt find, but i also think it isnt good as presence lessons as i've got now. Please, any help in this searching i'll be thankful!!!

[Edited at 2009-07-10 02:06 GMT]

Learn interpreting on-line is like learn how to swim without water.

"to still me studying there as english, spanish and french interpreting" (sounds like Google translate).

Interpreting: On-line lessons : well give it a try at interpreting Sarkozy's or Obama's speeches. Whenever they speak, they articulate, look at their audiences. On France24.com, you can find those speeches in both languages. I don't know whether this channel exists in Spanish. Taking on-line lessons in interpreting is like learning how to swim without water.
after that :
You could give it a try at the French interpreter schools, but with that kind of google translate English, I do not think you will ever get in.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 12:31
Chinese to English
Is this any good to you?; interpreter training options Jul 10, 2009

Hello mandylion

1 Here's a thread on this site of practice exercises for European interpreting exams: http://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/135850-consecutive_interpretation.html
2 Try Professional Development Forum? Students Forum?

Actually, I think you are really looking for 'presence' f
... See more
Hello mandylion

1 Here's a thread on this site of practice exercises for European interpreting exams: http://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/135850-consecutive_interpretation.html
2 Try Professional Development Forum? Students Forum?

Actually, I think you are really looking for 'presence' face-to-face interpreter training in France, right? (and on-line lessons as a second choice if that is not possible).

Can you tell us more about your plans in France. eg Which city will you be in? Will you be studying/working? How many hours a week of training do you think you would want? I am sure there must be interpreter training courses. What sort of course would you be looking for, I wonder.

In my experience, Community Interpreter courses (for example) are often run at polytechnics in the evenings. In addition, sometimes there are short block-courses of basic training, run by hospitals etc in the weekends. Some courses are mainly theory (eg the profession, techniques, ethics, etc), whereas others are more practical (eg with language labs). There are also full-time university courses, and sometimes training courses are run by translator/interpreter assocations. I don't know how it is in France. Of course, the Sorbonne in Paris is very famous, and is reknowned for training top linguists.

I think you are a native-Spanish speaker. The ProZ site is localised into Spanish (see language toggle panel below). There is also a Spanish Forum and a French Forum. Perhaps you could ask for advice there.

Best wishes.

Lesley

Naati (Australia) has two online courses which may be relevant. Here are details:
http://www.naati.com.au/tw-onlinecourse.html

[Edited at 2009-07-11 10:54 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Learn first Jul 10, 2009

I think you need to learn the languages first before you can become an interpreter. I'm sure there will be many opportunities for learning languages in France.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:31
Spanish
+ ...
Do you have any interpreting tips for begginners? Jul 10, 2009

Hi Mandy, sorry to use this thread to ask a similar question but this might be useful to both of us. I'm thinking about re-taking the interpreting profession as a part-time or an occasional thing that I can do additionally to translating. I did take some interpreting classes when I was in school and I have a bunch of books, but I haven't practiced in years. I've been thinking about volunteering in a couple of NGOs I know, but I don't want to "practice" that way, I mean even if it's in a voluntee... See more
Hi Mandy, sorry to use this thread to ask a similar question but this might be useful to both of us. I'm thinking about re-taking the interpreting profession as a part-time or an occasional thing that I can do additionally to translating. I did take some interpreting classes when I was in school and I have a bunch of books, but I haven't practiced in years. I've been thinking about volunteering in a couple of NGOs I know, but I don't want to "practice" that way, I mean even if it's in a volunteering basis, I'm just not ready yet.

I've been recording myself and interpreting stuff from Youtube or the Internet, the news, etc., as practice. Are there any other tips that might help?

Thanks.
Collapse

Ius Translation
Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Southern California School of Interpretation Jul 10, 2009

Hi All,

I cannot vouch for the only school (that I know of) that provides online classes. But, For beginners, I'd suggest The Interpreter's Companion (http://www.acebo.com/order.htm) and afterwards, any other practicing material from www.Acebo.com

Happy interpreting !

Romina...
See more
Hi All,

I cannot vouch for the only school (that I know of) that provides online classes. But, For beginners, I'd suggest The Interpreter's Companion (http://www.acebo.com/order.htm) and afterwards, any other practicing material from www.Acebo.com

Happy interpreting !

Romina
Collapse

mandylion07
mandylion07
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your advice Jul 11, 2009

As I said at the begining i'm learning, and it's nice that you can correct me and help me. I'd be very thankfull of any help you provide me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

...does exist any on-line interpreting school?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »