Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 16, 2009

Every force's form is different and I just wondered today if I've not been claiming for something I could/should. I'm often called early to advise me I'll be needed later that day and looking at the item 'time called' on the interpreters' claim form, I'm asking myself should the hours starting from 'time called' to the actual 'attendance time started' be included in the total hours, or under 'travelling' or, indeed, does it have any financial significance at all?

Anyone have any id
... See more
Every force's form is different and I just wondered today if I've not been claiming for something I could/should. I'm often called early to advise me I'll be needed later that day and looking at the item 'time called' on the interpreters' claim form, I'm asking myself should the hours starting from 'time called' to the actual 'attendance time started' be included in the total hours, or under 'travelling' or, indeed, does it have any financial significance at all?

Anyone have any idea?

Thank you.

Suzi
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Time called Jul 17, 2009

As you say, virtually every force's form is different, but there are some similarities. The "time called" item does turn up on some of them. So far nobody was able to explain why it is there, but I suspect in the early days it may have served some purpose, perhaps to monitor the translator's response, travelling time, or simply for producing statistics.
Sometimes it is filled in, sometimes not. The officer present when completing the form is not necessarily the one who called, and doesn't
... See more
As you say, virtually every force's form is different, but there are some similarities. The "time called" item does turn up on some of them. So far nobody was able to explain why it is there, but I suspect in the early days it may have served some purpose, perhaps to monitor the translator's response, travelling time, or simply for producing statistics.
Sometimes it is filled in, sometimes not. The officer present when completing the form is not necessarily the one who called, and doesn't know when the call happened, or forgot the time. I don't always remember either, and I am frequently booked days in advance. This alone indicates to me, that it cannot have any financial significance. Besides, most of the forms don't have this item.
It has never occurred to me to claim anything in connection with that and I have never been offered anything, or found any sign of payment when the data was there.
If you are still wondering, you can call the finance department of the force you work for frequently and have this on their form. I believe it has no financial significance, but if anybody actually knows, I would be interested to know the reason for having it on the form.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Additional payment?? Jul 17, 2009

I know next to nothing about interpreting, as I'm sure Juvera will remember (:-)), but this suddenly reminded me of my days on-call. We got paid extra if we were called after midnight.

Are there any circumstances under which interpreters could be called in for an emergency? Someone just arrested late at night who speaks no English? Do they drag interpreters out of bed for that, or do they wait until a more civilised hour? If they dragged me out of bed for it, I would certainly appre
... See more
I know next to nothing about interpreting, as I'm sure Juvera will remember (:-)), but this suddenly reminded me of my days on-call. We got paid extra if we were called after midnight.

Are there any circumstances under which interpreters could be called in for an emergency? Someone just arrested late at night who speaks no English? Do they drag interpreters out of bed for that, or do they wait until a more civilised hour? If they dragged me out of bed for it, I would certainly appreciate being paid an extra couple of farthings for my time (just as I used to be!).
Well, just an idea. If it doesn't fit with police procedures, ignore me (or maybe it used to & they haven't changed the form since the dissolution of the monastries).
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Different times, different pay... Jul 17, 2009

in more than one way.
Charlie Bavington wrote:
Do they drag interpreters out of bed for that...

Oh, yes!
or do they wait until a more civilised hour?

Sometimes.
Actually. there are weekday rates, evening/night rates, Saturday and Sunday rates.
If you are desperately short of funds, you don't mind being dragged out of bed.

Once I met my own GP at the nearby police station at around one o'clock in the morning, also being on duty. He took a double take when he saw me, I think he was more shocked than I, because I did realise instantly that he wasn't nicked....

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
SWP Forms Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for your comments.

I don't usually fill 'time called' in but a couple of weeks ago, the pc I was working with thought that I could claim from then on.

I get advance bookings for court work but practically never for police work and yes, my heart rejoices for anything that arrives Saturday nights and Sundays! Although the duty solicitor, on a fixed rate, likes to have a little dig as if I personally set the tariffs.

Suzi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

South Wales Police - claim forms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »