Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What skills do I need to become a simultaneous interpreter?
Thread poster: Ganerdene Gantumur
Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
French to English
+ ...
My postgraduate training covered translation and interpreting Jul 28, 2009

and whilst it was likely that, with lots of practice, I could master both disciplines, it was equally clear to me that the aptitude needed for each was entirely different. To be a good simultaneous interpreter I felt you had to be a bit of an adrenalin junkie, thriving on that feeling of butterflies in your stomach you get before a performance or an exam...You also had to be able to open your mouth and keep going, even if what you'd said was not quite right because if you stopped to correct you... See more
and whilst it was likely that, with lots of practice, I could master both disciplines, it was equally clear to me that the aptitude needed for each was entirely different. To be a good simultaneous interpreter I felt you had to be a bit of an adrenalin junkie, thriving on that feeling of butterflies in your stomach you get before a performance or an exam...You also had to be able to open your mouth and keep going, even if what you'd said was not quite right because if you stopped to correct yourself you'd miss the next part of the sentence. And if you were interpreting from German to English you had to play 'guess the verb' then keep going even if you'd guessed wrong....

I soon decided that the calm tranquillity of living inside my head as a translator would suit me much better.

I'm sure that hasn't helped you, but it made me feel better to say it!
Collapse

Ganerdene Gantumur
Ganerdene Gantumur
United States
Local time: 03:52
Member (2011)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Lai An from New Zealand Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for asking the questions.

Currently I don't interpret at conferences but do consecutive interpretation quite often. What I aim is to become a pro simultaneous interpreter.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:52
Romanian to English
+ ...
fast consecutive vs. simultaneous Aug 13, 2009

We should not confuse a "fast consecutive" with "simultaneous"!
In "simultaneous" we need to start 5-7 words after the speaker, and finish 5-7 words after the speaker ("le decalage"), while in a fast consecutive, the interpreter listens to the sentence and interprets it at a fast pace.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What skills do I need to become a simultaneous interpreter?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »