Which type of Interpretation is more difficult?, Sight,Consecutive or Simultaneous? English-Spanish
Thread poster: Ivanhoe421
Ivanhoe421
Ivanhoe421
United States
Local time: 11:53
Jul 30, 2009

Is it true that Consecutive is easier because the Vocabulary is not as large as what you need in Simultaneous?
True not true, What you think? in your experience.

Gracias.

[Edited at 2009-07-30 19:09 GMT]

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Consecutive Jul 30, 2009

Ivanhoe421 wrote:

Is it true that Consecutive is easier because the Vocabulary is not as large as what you need in Simultaneous?
True not true, What you think? in your experience.
Gracias.

[Edited at 2009-07-30 19:09 GMT]

Vocabulary can be very large, many different words, explanations, etc. (I work in a pediatric hospital)
Consecutive is easier, because you have time to think...

Ivanhoe421
Ivanhoe421
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Javier. Jul 30, 2009

Thank you Javier.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
I prefer simultaneous Jul 30, 2009

In my experience, consecutive is harder, mostly because of note-taking and the need to remember what has been said. Simultaneous translation, at least for me, is like an automatic black-box experience: English input, Spanish output.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:53
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Agree Jul 30, 2009

I also prefer simultaneous, but I don't necessarily think it is easier

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like asking "Does Coke or Pepsi taste better?" Jul 31, 2009

I consider this at least partially a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer consecutive and find it easier. That's partially out of familiarity.

Personally, I don't think that working in a particular mode determines the range of vocabulary needed. It's entirely possible that an interpreter working in the consecutive mode would need to know some very specialized vocabulary, especially if he or she were interpreting at, say, certain legal appointments.

I
... See more
I consider this at least partially a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer consecutive and find it easier. That's partially out of familiarity.

Personally, I don't think that working in a particular mode determines the range of vocabulary needed. It's entirely possible that an interpreter working in the consecutive mode would need to know some very specialized vocabulary, especially if he or she were interpreting at, say, certain legal appointments.

I did interpret simultaneously once....for a test for a new agency. I did better than I expected.

So, you might find that your preference is different from some other interpreters. That's fine, as long as your clients are happy.

[Edited at 2009-07-31 02:32 GMT]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:53
Flemish to English
+ ...
Consec. Jul 31, 2009

Consecutive: you have to remember a speech full of titles (to forget a title in German is a mortal sin), towns and figures (which you jot down)
However, when you have a "bullet-train speed speaker" or somebody babbling, simultaneous is no that easy either. On the other hand: both the current French and American president's speeches are ideal for practise: eloquent and well pronounced.

CARLOS GARCIA
CARLOS GARCIA
United States
English to Spanish
Simultaneous!!! Jul 31, 2009

I feel simultaneous is easier for me. I just close my eyes in the back of the conference room and think out loud in Spanish whatever is said in English. Interpreting flowing naturally.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depends Aug 1, 2009

First of all, the vocabulary doesn't depend on the method.
It depends on the vocabulary of the speaker(s) and the subject.

To be able to function, the interpreter has to have excellent understanding of his/her second language, and wide vocabulary in both languages; otherwise he/she would not be able to interpret satisfactorily. Familiarity with both cultures and good general knowledge also helps.

You can prepare for the assignment when the subject is known in adv
... See more
First of all, the vocabulary doesn't depend on the method.
It depends on the vocabulary of the speaker(s) and the subject.

To be able to function, the interpreter has to have excellent understanding of his/her second language, and wide vocabulary in both languages; otherwise he/she would not be able to interpret satisfactorily. Familiarity with both cultures and good general knowledge also helps.

You can prepare for the assignment when the subject is known in advance, but that is not always so, and you are unlikely to have the opportunity to consult dictionaries when interpreting. In some situations at consecutive interpreting you may be able to ask the speaker to explain or elaborate, but that is the exception, not the rule.

It really depends on your preference, inclinations, the situation, the subject, the speaker(s), the facilities, etc. which one you find easier.

Generally speaking consecutive interpreting requires better capability in remembering, storing information, on the other hand you have more time to order your thoughts and form your own sentences, and you can speak at your normal speed.

Simultaneous interpreting needs quick thinking, the capability of virtually anticipating the continuation of a sentence and speaking at the same time, sometimes much faster than you would like to, because you have to follow the speed of the speaker.

Consecutive interpreting has to be as precise as possible, while simultaneous interpreting suits those who can rationalise to a certain extent to bring out the essence of the spoken words and still convey faithfully the meaning of what is being said.

Some people prefer one method over the other, because of their temperament or experience of consecutive or simultaneous interpreting (without capital letters).

[Edited at 2009-08-01 21:02 GMT]
Collapse

Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:53
Romanian to English
+ ...
Consecutive vs. simultaneous Aug 3, 2009

At the University, almost all my teachers (I graduated from a Translators-Interpreters Section) told us that the consecutive translation is more difficult, and I agree, mainly because of the need to take notes and remember everything that was said.
I for one prefer the simultaneous translation, but that does not mean that this is easier, it's just consecutive is more pretentious.
I think, as far as the consecutive translation is concerned, the operative word is "detail", while for th
... See more
At the University, almost all my teachers (I graduated from a Translators-Interpreters Section) told us that the consecutive translation is more difficult, and I agree, mainly because of the need to take notes and remember everything that was said.
I for one prefer the simultaneous translation, but that does not mean that this is easier, it's just consecutive is more pretentious.
I think, as far as the consecutive translation is concerned, the operative word is "detail", while for the simultaneous translation, "speed" is the key,
which means that, even if consecutive may seem more difficult, unless you are really good at doing simultaneous, have the experience and the necessary technique at hand, you may easily blow it, big time, because none will repeat what was said, when it comes to simultaneous. So I guess it is also a matter of temperament, it all gets down to the interpreter's "construction", in my opinion.

[Edited at 2009-08-03 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Part of it has to do with your personality Aug 3, 2009

... and sometimes the stage you're at in your training/career.

I used to think consecutive was easier; now, when I'm more demanding of consecutive delivery, I'm with Edwal's and Carlos' comments. This is also because I'm rather withdrawn and find it easier to concentrate in a booth.

There's often no choice in community service intepretation; you take what the facilities can offer.

polskiexpert
polskiexpert
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Polish to English
+ ...
consecutive Aug 4, 2009

Since my memory is quite good;), I prefer consecutive.

The other thing, I have more experience in cons. perhaps that's why I stick more to that interpreting mode.

thanks

M

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which type of Interpretation is more difficult?, Sight,Consecutive or Simultaneous? English-Spanish

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »