What skills are needed to take U.N. Interpreting exams
Thread poster: Rylya
Aug 14, 2009

I grew in a country where most people speak more than one language and where one is exposed to more than one culture.I am fluent in 7 languages but in 4 I consider myself very fluent.Out of these 4 the 2 that are more in demand are English and Spanish.None of these 2 languages is my native language.One day, when an American was visiting my country, she asked me if I understood English.I told her yes.We talked for a few minutes and she asked me where I had learned to speak English like this.I tol... See more
I grew in a country where most people speak more than one language and where one is exposed to more than one culture.I am fluent in 7 languages but in 4 I consider myself very fluent.Out of these 4 the 2 that are more in demand are English and Spanish.None of these 2 languages is my native language.One day, when an American was visiting my country, she asked me if I understood English.I told her yes.We talked for a few minutes and she asked me where I had learned to speak English like this.I told her at school.And then she asked me where I could work in my country with my English skills.I told her as a tourist guide.Then she told me that in the United States, I could find work at the U.N.I was very surprised by this.I heard that in order to take the U.N. exams for either Interpreting or Translation you need to be university or college educated,which I am not.I would like to know what skills you need in order for you take these exams.I have interpreted on several times from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English.I have also done that with the other two languages I am very fluent in.With translating it is the same thing.As for my Spanish real Spanish speaking people have a hard believing I am not a native speaker.I will welcome any suggestions.Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:44
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
UN Application Aug 14, 2009

Rylya wrote:

As for my Spanish real Spanish speaking people have a hard believing I am not a native speaker.

They have a hard believing? What does that actually mean?

Why don't you send your application to some UN Office in your area? I think it's also possible to apply on-line, although 98% of those applications end in their junk bin.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
2 cents Aug 14, 2009

If I am not mistaken:
Degree in Conference Interpreting required, (and a few years of experience a +) preferably from the house suppliers of the UN. A degree in C.I. is a post-graduate degree (after you have finished college). To get into the "house suppliers" (top interpreter schools), you must pass an admission exam, a gruelling two years of training, the final exams and only then you can apply at the UN. You'd better focus on 2 or 3 foreign languages.

[Edited at 2009-08-14 15:1
... See more
If I am not mistaken:
Degree in Conference Interpreting required, (and a few years of experience a +) preferably from the house suppliers of the UN. A degree in C.I. is a post-graduate degree (after you have finished college). To get into the "house suppliers" (top interpreter schools), you must pass an admission exam, a gruelling two years of training, the final exams and only then you can apply at the UN. You'd better focus on 2 or 3 foreign languages.

[Edited at 2009-08-14 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some links Aug 14, 2009

What do I need to do to become a (UN) interpreter ?
... See more
What do I need to do to become a (UN) interpreter ?
http://ita.proz.com/forum/interpreting/121870-what_do_i_need_to_do_to_become_a_un_interpreter_.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2120963_become-united-nations-interpreter.html

http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/languageexam.htm
Collapse

hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 19:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Improve your English Aug 15, 2009

I think a native-like mastery of English is without a doubt a necessity. Your sentences contain several errors, which I have corrected below:
I grew UP in a country... * (you grow up in a country, you don't just grow there)
I told her as a tour guide. * (a tour guide, not a tourist guide)
I would like to know what skills you need in order for you to take these exams* (" in order for you to" or "in order to take")
I have interpreted several times (not on several times)... See more
I think a native-like mastery of English is without a doubt a necessity. Your sentences contain several errors, which I have corrected below:
I grew UP in a country... * (you grow up in a country, you don't just grow there)
I told her as a tour guide. * (a tour guide, not a tourist guide)
I would like to know what skills you need in order for you to take these exams* (" in order for you to" or "in order to take")
I have interpreted several times (not on several times)
As for my Spanish, native speakers of Spanish have a hard time believing I am not a native speaker.

OK, I'm glad you're interested in translating and interpreting. Just don't forget about English grammar. Always ask people to proofread your work and give you suggestions. My corrections are applicable in an American English setting. Best of luck.
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:44
English to Russian
+ ...
To be honest, .. Aug 15, 2009

.. common Americans (and obviously the lady which complimented you on your fluent English) rarely speak other languages than English and look at us speaking English (sometimes fluent, sometimes not) as a miracle. They will tell you you speak better English than they do. This will not work for the U.N., UNESCO and all other international organizations. You need excellent degrees, tons of experience and good connections.. I have a good friend who is the best simultaneous interpreter I know (degree... See more
.. common Americans (and obviously the lady which complimented you on your fluent English) rarely speak other languages than English and look at us speaking English (sometimes fluent, sometimes not) as a miracle. They will tell you you speak better English than they do. This will not work for the U.N., UNESCO and all other international organizations. You need excellent degrees, tons of experience and good connections.. I have a good friend who is the best simultaneous interpreter I know (degrees, UN/UNESCO experience, EU travel, etc.) and he is still only freelancing for them. Start working with your professional education and do not take more than 2 languages.Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:44
English to Russian
+ ...
So true... Aug 16, 2009

sokolniki wrote:

.. common Americans (and obviously the lady which complimented you on your fluent English) rarely speak other languages than English and look at us speaking English (sometimes fluent, sometimes not) as a miracle. They will tell you you speak better English than they do. This will not work for the U.N., UNESCO and all other international organizations. You need excellent degrees, tons of experience and good connections.. I have a good friend who is the best simultaneous interpreter I know (degrees, UN/UNESCO experience, EU travel, etc.) and he is still only freelancing for them. Start working with your professional education and do not take more than 2 languages.

21 years ago, when I just arrived to the U.S. and barely (and I stress - barely) spoke English, I heard the compliment "Excellent English!" several times a day. I kid you not.

But as my English improved, the compliments became few and far between.

I think Americans are simply being nice: they see you making an effort and try to encourage you. But don't get fooled by such compliments. Only when you stop hearing them, you'll know your English is good enough to be taken for granted.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
But don't get discouraged Aug 17, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

I think Americans are simply being nice: they see you making an effort and try to encourage you. But don't get fooled by such compliments. Only when you stop hearing them, you'll know your English is good enough to be taken for granted.

You sound young, and a young person with a plurilingual background stands a good chance of surviving in the field of translation, if not directly in interpretation, and not necessarily in the UN. (The UN has six official language, and being native in at least one may be a minimum prerequisite). But DO consider a college education, if only for its life-enriching possibilities. We human beings are not just machines sent out to conquer the job market; we live real lives. In assessing your chances, don't overlook your native language, because that may well be where you will excel. One guide I can give you by way of orientation for multilinguals working in the language industry is http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/611/ , but there are certainly many others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What skills are needed to take U.N. Interpreting exams

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »