Payment for Interpreting
Thread poster: dd dd
dd dd
dd dd
Local time: 14:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 21, 2009

A translation agency in the US arranged for me to interprete for a US client end of this month in Beijing. The lady from the agency said they are going to pay me 30 days after completion of the assignment.

I wonder whether this is the usual practice in the interpreting business. I usually had the client pay me at the end of the day after completing the assignment.

This is the first time I work for an overseas agency for interpreting assignments.

Anyone wh
... See more
A translation agency in the US arranged for me to interprete for a US client end of this month in Beijing. The lady from the agency said they are going to pay me 30 days after completion of the assignment.

I wonder whether this is the usual practice in the interpreting business. I usually had the client pay me at the end of the day after completing the assignment.

This is the first time I work for an overseas agency for interpreting assignments.

Anyone who know anything about this?
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:42
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
The way I experienced Aug 21, 2009

I'm based in UK at present and the way I have noticed it looks like it mainly depends on the company. Most translation companies I worked with pay within XX days after receiving an invoice and that varies from 30 days to 60 days (YES YES, 60 days..in theory, in practice more like 90-100 days..). But it also happens that someone pays at the end of the day/job.

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes. It is common. Aug 21, 2009

If you write an invoice, you will get your money later (usual 30 days).

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 23:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Typical, in my experience Aug 22, 2009

I'm an interpreter in the US. The majority of my clients pay 30 day after I submit an invoice. Some pay sooner (I love them!), some drag their feet and pay after up to 60 days, and for one particular agency it takes even longer than 60 days to pay (but I have my reasons to stay with them), but 30 days seems to be the norm.

The only case when I insist on being paid on the day of the assignment, on the spot, is when a private individual, not an agency and not a business, finds me on
... See more
I'm an interpreter in the US. The majority of my clients pay 30 day after I submit an invoice. Some pay sooner (I love them!), some drag their feet and pay after up to 60 days, and for one particular agency it takes even longer than 60 days to pay (but I have my reasons to stay with them), but 30 days seems to be the norm.

The only case when I insist on being paid on the day of the assignment, on the spot, is when a private individual, not an agency and not a business, finds me on the internet and contracts me for the interpreting services on a particular day. In this case, I insist on being paid right away, simply because I don't trust them, and have very few options in case they don't pay later.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment for Interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »