Thread poster: Mark Belcher (X)
Mark Belcher (X)
Mark Belcher (X)
Local time: 12:59
German to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

Dear all,

I'm thinking of trying to train as an interpreter next year. I studied Bulgarian for my masters, as well as currently working regularly as a translator from German and Russian. Are there any interpreting schools that offer Bulgarian? It seems the EU institutions are desperate for people, and I thought it might give me more of an advantage if I had Bulgarian. Also, does one still need to have a certain amount of experience before applying to the EU institutions?

... See more
Dear all,

I'm thinking of trying to train as an interpreter next year. I studied Bulgarian for my masters, as well as currently working regularly as a translator from German and Russian. Are there any interpreting schools that offer Bulgarian? It seems the EU institutions are desperate for people, and I thought it might give me more of an advantage if I had Bulgarian. Also, does one still need to have a certain amount of experience before applying to the EU institutions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Collapse

Emma Hradecka (X)
Emma Hradecka (X)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Experience Sep 26, 2009

Hello,
the experience they require for you to become an EU interpreter is as follows:

* Hold a recognised university degree in conference interpreting or
* Hold a recognised university degree in any subject and a postgraduate qualification in conference interpreting or
* Hold a recognised university degree in any subject and have documented experience in consecutive and simultaneous conference interpreting.

Ad 3: as far as I know the
... See more
Hello,
the experience they require for you to become an EU interpreter is as follows:

* Hold a recognised university degree in conference interpreting or
* Hold a recognised university degree in any subject and a postgraduate qualification in conference interpreting or
* Hold a recognised university degree in any subject and have documented experience in consecutive and simultaneous conference interpreting.

Ad 3: as far as I know the experience = 100 days of interpreting for INTERNATIONAL organisations, instutitutions etc. They are not interested in work experience from the business sector, only governments, NGOs, etc.

You can find more information here (this page is about becoming an accredited EU freelance interpreter but I believe that the above mentioned requirements apply for both staff and freelance interpreters):

http://europa.eu/interpretation/accreditation_en.htm

All the best!

Emma
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sofia Sep 26, 2009

For staff: don't you have to pass the preselection test first (numerical/verbal/analytical). They dropped EU-knowledge in the first stage.

I know somebody who studied at the university of Sofia and is now a freelancer for the EP.

Where did you get ad3 from?

[Edited at 2009-09-26 10:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to train as an interpreter from Bulgarian into English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »