Thread poster: ballyd
ballyd
ballyd
Local time: 23:43
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Sep 28, 2009

Greetings fellow friends,

My name is Baljeet, you can call me Bally. I have been working in companies and was encouraged by many that I have a gift in communicating in different languages. I can speak in Malay, English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Tamil and Cantonese. So I need assistance to kick start a new career for me in interpreting.

My question is how do I start off on my own in Malaysia, and what market should i focus on? I am currently going for arabic and persian cl
... See more
Greetings fellow friends,

My name is Baljeet, you can call me Bally. I have been working in companies and was encouraged by many that I have a gift in communicating in different languages. I can speak in Malay, English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Tamil and Cantonese. So I need assistance to kick start a new career for me in interpreting.

My question is how do I start off on my own in Malaysia, and what market should i focus on? I am currently going for arabic and persian classes and polishing grammars in the languages which I noe.
I am seeking to be pointed at the direct for what I am going to indulging my self in.

Best Regards / Beste Grüße / Saludos / Atenciosamente,
Bally @ Baljeet Singh
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Languages Sep 28, 2009

One recommendation: Choose just two languages, preferably two you already know well and for which there is a good market, and continue to perfect yourself in those. When you interpret you go both ways and you must speak both like a native. After all, you will have to compete against others who do.

You have to be a master at your trade, not a jack of all trades and master of none. As for variety, think of all the different subjects you will need to master in your working languages, y
... See more
One recommendation: Choose just two languages, preferably two you already know well and for which there is a good market, and continue to perfect yourself in those. When you interpret you go both ways and you must speak both like a native. After all, you will have to compete against others who do.

You have to be a master at your trade, not a jack of all trades and master of none. As for variety, think of all the different subjects you will need to master in your working languages, you will need to work on those also.

Best of luck...
Collapse

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 17:43
German to Spanish
+ ...
Your language choice Sep 29, 2009

Usually, you can see that in almost every country the largest interpreting share of the market goes to the combination English + local language, that would be Malaisian in your case. If you have English as mother tongue, I'll advise you to go for Malaisian and concentrate yourself in these 2 languages in order to be able to work both ways. After taking a decision about the languages you feel most confident working with and with which you think you can excel, I advise you to get some formal train... See more
Usually, you can see that in almost every country the largest interpreting share of the market goes to the combination English + local language, that would be Malaisian in your case. If you have English as mother tongue, I'll advise you to go for Malaisian and concentrate yourself in these 2 languages in order to be able to work both ways. After taking a decision about the languages you feel most confident working with and with which you think you can excel, I advise you to get some formal training in conference interpreting/community interpreting:

The Malaysian National Institute of Translation Berhad (Institut Terjemahan Negara
Malaysia Berhad - ITNM) was established on 14th September 1993, to provide the
infrastructure and facilitate the creation of the translation and interpreting industry
in Malaysia. Being a public limited company, the Malaysian government, under the
Ministry of Finance (Incorporated) owns its share capital. However, the Ministry of
Education supervises its administration (ITNM’s Website).
From the academic perspectives, Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang is the only
university that offers a Bachelor of Arts in Translation and Interpreting (B.A. Hons.
Terjemahan dan Interpretasi - BATI). The programme was established in 1992/1993,
offering introductory interpreting courses: Sight Interpretation, Consecutive Inter-
pretation of Technical and Non-technical Texts, Simultaneous Interpretation of
Technical and Non-technical Texts (BATI 2004/2005 Student Guide). From profes-
sional training perspectives, ITNM offers an interpreting course to the general
public, and is available on demand. The 30-hour course is conducted twice a year
(ITNM’s Website).

More: http://id.erudit.org/revue/meta/2009/v54/n2/037686ar.pdf

Good luck
Collapse

Zunzeiryp
Zunzeiryp
United States
Local time: 11:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Market Research Sep 29, 2009

BallyJi,

It's so important to carefully choose the languages you know fluently. Then, polish up on your English because it is a huge door opener. Then do your research. Which language has large Immigrant population with Limited Local Language Proficiency...very important.

Also, it depends on what specialty you are tackling. For business, it can be anything, but for medical I t might be Malay-target language, or vice-versa! It really depends.

You should loo
... See more
BallyJi,

It's so important to carefully choose the languages you know fluently. Then, polish up on your English because it is a huge door opener. Then do your research. Which language has large Immigrant population with Limited Local Language Proficiency...very important.

Also, it depends on what specialty you are tackling. For business, it can be anything, but for medical I t might be Malay-target language, or vice-versa! It really depends.

You should look up agencies locally and worldwide, because your languages are rare its very flexible when it comes to hiring from large world wide agencies.

Thats all for now,

Best to you
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requesting for ideas in pursuing interpreting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »