finding a good masters in interpreting
Thread poster: maedbh
Sep 29, 2009

hello, I am currently a 4th yr student in BA Applied Languages in Ireland. I would like to do a masters in Interpreting. As there is none available in Ireland I would like to possible study in France or Belguim (into English), however not Paris as it is just too expensive. Could someone recommend a school that is recognised by the EU and UN? My other language is Spanish.
Thanks
Maedbh

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
Flemish to English
+ ...
Good masters. Sep 29, 2009

You'll need a thorough knowledge of two foreign languages, Spanish>English, xxx>English
In Belgium, there are no schools with English A.
In France, there is ESIT (625euros) and ISIT which offer English A
In Switzerland, you have ETI-Geneva (2500 ??? euros per annum).
Westminster is expensive, but it is 1 year. All the others 2 years.

for a list of schools: AIIC.net and Ciuti.org

[Edited at 2009-09-29 10:00 GMT]

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
However Sep 29, 2009

Williamson said it all, just check those websites.
However, I just wanted to remind you that graduating from the most prestigious schools is not enough to work as an Interpreter for the UN or the EU: in both cases, you will have to pass their entrance examinations after graduating.
That said, those schools will offer you an excellent preparation for those examinations.
Paris is certainly an expensive city, but compare the tuition fees to those of other programs...Esit might be
... See more
Williamson said it all, just check those websites.
However, I just wanted to remind you that graduating from the most prestigious schools is not enough to work as an Interpreter for the UN or the EU: in both cases, you will have to pass their entrance examinations after graduating.
That said, those schools will offer you an excellent preparation for those examinations.
Paris is certainly an expensive city, but compare the tuition fees to those of other programs...Esit might be one of the cheapest options after all.

http://france-japon.my.proz.com

[Modifié le 2009-09-29 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
Some links, all in Spain Sep 29, 2009

http://www.bootheando.com/2009/06/13/estudiar-interpretacion-en-espana/<... See more
http://www.bootheando.com/2009/06/13/estudiar-interpretacion-en-espana/

http://webpages.ull.es/users/masteric/english.htm

http://www.aice-interpretes.com/esp/estudio/estudiar.phtml
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Difficult to get into Sep 29, 2009

It's a good idea to go for a course that is recognised internationally (EMIC). It is quite difficult to get into these schools (ESIT, Westminster, La Laguna, Geneva) so I would interview for as many as possible and then take your decision. You should also enquire as to the pass rate, I can remember Westminster having a pass rate of about 50% a couple of years ago, I think it is significantly lower in the case of the other three). Some people go on to do interpreting directly after a degree, othe... See more
It's a good idea to go for a course that is recognised internationally (EMIC). It is quite difficult to get into these schools (ESIT, Westminster, La Laguna, Geneva) so I would interview for as many as possible and then take your decision. You should also enquire as to the pass rate, I can remember Westminster having a pass rate of about 50% a couple of years ago, I think it is significantly lower in the case of the other three). Some people go on to do interpreting directly after a degree, others tend to gain experience in translating before embarking on interpreting.

Good luck
Collapse

Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Hannah Dorthea Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
Copenhagen Sep 29, 2009

I know that a course is coming up in Copenhagen at the Copenhagen Business School this autumn - if you happen to know Danish, it is also a possibility.
http://uk.cbs.dk/videreuddannelse/masteruddannelser/mba_uddannelser/konferencetolk_european_masters_in_conference_interpreting

maedbh
maedbh
TOPIC STARTER
paris Sep 30, 2009

Williamson wrote:

You'll need a thorough knowledge of two foreign languages, Spanish>English, xxx>English
In Belgium, there are no schools with English A.
In France, there is ESIT (625euros) and ISIT which offer English A

Thanks for the info. I heard that the courses in Paris are really difficult to pass...do you know of any english native speaker that has done them? would you it is better to study in UK where it is taught through english?

Maedbh

maedbh
maedbh
TOPIC STARTER
interpreting schools Sep 30, 2009

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I will check out these links. Obviously it would be good to go to a school that has a good pass rate whether in UK or Europe. Eventhough my languages are french and spanish, would you think it easier to pass by completing a masters in UK rather than France/Spain? Also, the colleges that are not on the EU list, will they also be considered for entry?
Finally, could any interpreters out there give me a view of interpreting as a profession?
... See more
Thank you all for your valuable advice. I will check out these links. Obviously it would be good to go to a school that has a good pass rate whether in UK or Europe. Eventhough my languages are french and spanish, would you think it easier to pass by completing a masters in UK rather than France/Spain? Also, the colleges that are not on the EU list, will they also be considered for entry?
Finally, could any interpreters out there give me a view of interpreting as a profession?

Maedbh
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
I wouldn't go for the easiest one... Oct 1, 2009

Maybe it's my Japanese "kamikaze" side, but I wouldn't recommend you to go for any of the easiest ones to "pass", because if you really want to pass the UN exam similar, you'll need a tough training...if you're aiming for the private market, things might be different, though.
Good luck!

Claudio LR
Claudio LR
English to Italian
+ ...
ETI Geneva Oct 1, 2009

Williamson wrote:

ETI in Geneva is 1000 CHF per year, so around 660 EUR. It's not 2 years but 1,5 years (3 semesters, so 500 CHFx3, if completed in 3 semesters, which is not a easy task...)

Cheers,
Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

finding a good masters in interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »