Thread poster: Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera
Kati Bumbera  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:06
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

They wouldn't give me a copy of my claim form nor fill in the NRPSI log sheet unless I cough up £5.00.

Has anybody else come across this? Does anyone fancy opening a copyshop opposite the courtroom with me?

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
NRPSI Oct 2, 2009

I've been NRPSI qualified for 4 years now and never ever heard of this! Where were you?
That said, I never give the court officials my feedback sheet although technically employed by them, but hand it, depending on whose 'side' I'm working that day, either to the police officer involved or lawyer and ask them to fill it in at their ease. I always supply an SAE and explain that this has nothing to do with payment, just a way of monitoring performance. I don't think I've ever not had the
... See more
I've been NRPSI qualified for 4 years now and never ever heard of this! Where were you?
That said, I never give the court officials my feedback sheet although technically employed by them, but hand it, depending on whose 'side' I'm working that day, either to the police officer involved or lawyer and ask them to fill it in at their ease. I always supply an SAE and explain that this has nothing to do with payment, just a way of monitoring performance. I don't think I've ever not had the form returned.
As for your annual registration, you only need to prove you have completed 10 hours of interpreting and you don't necessarily have to do so via the log sheets; you can submit your claim form instead as proof. I usually submit a mixture of the two.
Good luck in the future.
Suzi
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good idea... Oct 2, 2009

...about giving the form to the lawyer/client instead, thanks. Although the form says it needs to be stamped etc. I guess they don't take it too seriously as long as you submit something decent-looking?

The charging for the copy of the claim form is a new practice at one of the Magistrates' Court where I recently worked. When I pointed out I didn't need a hard copy, they could just email it to me, they still insisted that I should pay. I guess I just keep the original myself next ti
... See more
...about giving the form to the lawyer/client instead, thanks. Although the form says it needs to be stamped etc. I guess they don't take it too seriously as long as you submit something decent-looking?

The charging for the copy of the claim form is a new practice at one of the Magistrates' Court where I recently worked. When I pointed out I didn't need a hard copy, they could just email it to me, they still insisted that I should pay. I guess I just keep the original myself next time and send *them* a copy - free of charge as I'm generous like that!
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
NRPSI Oct 2, 2009

I always point out that the form must be stamped/with letterhead and, as I've provided an SAE, they take it back to their respective stations/offices and usually remember when they send it back...although there's always one. Basically, people are helpful. Oh, and the NRPSI take everything seriously!!! No laughs there, I'm afraid.

As for the actual claim forms, I never fill them out on the spot, also because you never know how long it takes to get back home. I also like to keep a
... See more
I always point out that the form must be stamped/with letterhead and, as I've provided an SAE, they take it back to their respective stations/offices and usually remember when they send it back...although there's always one. Basically, people are helpful. Oh, and the NRPSI take everything seriously!!! No laughs there, I'm afraid.

As for the actual claim forms, I never fill them out on the spot, also because you never know how long it takes to get back home. I also like to keep a copy of everything too, including receipts. When my copier's played up in the past, I've scanned everything which is also cheaper!

Suzi
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Business card Oct 2, 2009

Always attach one to feedback form and whenever you return a claim form too. You can never have too many contacts. I always leave one with the custody sergeant too at the police station.
Hope this helps.

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
On the spot Dec 14, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Oh, and the NRPSI take everything seriously!!! No laughs there, I'm afraid.

Suzi

You're right there. But it doesn't make them any more efficient.
I always hand in my claim forms and get my hours sheet signed by the clerk at the end of the hearing, before they get stuck in another case or go for lunch. Then I go to the court office and get it stamped. I've never had any real problems, although some of them like to you feel suitably grateful for their indulgence. Re time to get home, I just double the time it took me to get there.

[Edited at 2009-12-14 13:45 GMT]

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a few other unimpressive practices... Dec 14, 2009

...that I've encountered lately with several different Magistrates' Courts:

- insisting that I send the completed claim form back to them in the mail. They wouldn't process a pdf email attachment. Two of my Royal Mail recorded delivery items went missing just last month. Aside from the money it costs to send those forms via fancypants special delivery (which still doesn't guarantee that they'll arrive) I just can't imagine what's keeping them from buying a printer? Even the (shock,
... See more
...that I've encountered lately with several different Magistrates' Courts:

- insisting that I send the completed claim form back to them in the mail. They wouldn't process a pdf email attachment. Two of my Royal Mail recorded delivery items went missing just last month. Aside from the money it costs to send those forms via fancypants special delivery (which still doesn't guarantee that they'll arrive) I just can't imagine what's keeping them from buying a printer? Even the (shock, horror) well-known and frowned upon interpreting agencies I work for accept the time sheets via pdf/email, and one of them - lo and behold - even has an online invoicing system. 21st century anyone?

- not sending written confirmation of the booking

- then cancelling the assignment and ignoring my cancellation fee claims, leaving me with no written proof that the booking was ever made (I'll most likely have to have a proper dispute with them about this one, an excellent use of my time.)

Am I the only one who finds these things incredibly unprofessional and frustrating? Anything we can do about them? I doubt the NRPSI is interested in the daily calamities of our lives, the IoL forum has been completely dead for the past two years - I don't know where else to vent/blow the whistle/stir the s**t about these things. What do other NRPSI-ers think?
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Court problems Dec 15, 2009

You really have been unlucky. I've never experienced these problems.

I hope things work out better for you next year.

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unlucky? Dec 15, 2009

I don't know Suzi - I wish it was just bad luck. Have you really only had professional, pleasant clients this year where everything worked like clockwork? You must know something I don't!

These things happened to me at different courts in different parts of the UK. All of them employ NRPSI interpreters regularly so it would surprise me if it was just my personal bad luck rather than general practice on their part. In
... See more
I don't know Suzi - I wish it was just bad luck. Have you really only had professional, pleasant clients this year where everything worked like clockwork? You must know something I don't!

These things happened to me at different courts in different parts of the UK. All of them employ NRPSI interpreters regularly so it would surprise me if it was just my personal bad luck rather than general practice on their part. In which case I wonder why nobody has raised these issues before. Or maybe they did, I just don't know the right channels for it?

For example we have a blue board here for outsourcers and commercial clients but I don't know of a similar platform where interpreters can rate and leave feedback about public service clients, or compare notes or give advice etc. Just for the record not all of my experience is bad - but I find there is a general lack of proper understanding of procedures and rules both among interpreters themselves and among the clients who use our services.
Collapse

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Expectations Dec 15, 2009

I rarely receive written confirmations of hearings, and I've been double booked more than once, but I've only once turned up to a hearing and told it was the wrong date. Despite my anger and representations, no-one was prepared to pay for my wasted time on this last occasion (although I always insisted on, and received payment, when being double booked). The fact is that the criminal justice system, and NRPSI, are not consumer-oriented organisations. That's a fact of life we have to deal with if... See more
I rarely receive written confirmations of hearings, and I've been double booked more than once, but I've only once turned up to a hearing and told it was the wrong date. Despite my anger and representations, no-one was prepared to pay for my wasted time on this last occasion (although I always insisted on, and received payment, when being double booked). The fact is that the criminal justice system, and NRPSI, are not consumer-oriented organisations. That's a fact of life we have to deal with if we want to work as freelance interpreters.
Re agencies, I refuse to work for them in the criminal justice system. If more of us did so, the organs of state would be forced to go via NRPSI and we would all be better off.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fact of life Dec 15, 2009

I see your point John.

Except I'm not a "consumer" of the criminal justice system. That would be the defendant I guess. I'm their colleague, or supplier, or contractor. I have a professional relationship with them, which is supposed to be governed by somewhat acceptable business practices regardless of what the nature of the work or the final "product" is. Having my time wasted for free is not an acceptable business practice in any sector or industry I know of. Not to mention it's n
... See more
I see your point John.

Except I'm not a "consumer" of the criminal justice system. That would be the defendant I guess. I'm their colleague, or supplier, or contractor. I have a professional relationship with them, which is supposed to be governed by somewhat acceptable business practices regardless of what the nature of the work or the final "product" is. Having my time wasted for free is not an acceptable business practice in any sector or industry I know of. Not to mention it's not a sustainable occupation for me on the long run - I doubt other interpreters are so wealthy they don't need the money for their work either. Even if it's public service work.
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Courts Dec 16, 2009

I really haven't had your problems and I too travel to different courts. Very rarely do I not get a postal or e-mail confirmation, and that goes too for pre-booked police interviews, obviously not the 02.00 in the morning trips. I've also always been informed of cancellations.

I will not work for agencies as it just perpetuates the problem of low rates and unqualified interpreters - we worked hard for this and I won't budge. I admit that I'm fortunate, with enough work to enable
... See more
I really haven't had your problems and I too travel to different courts. Very rarely do I not get a postal or e-mail confirmation, and that goes too for pre-booked police interviews, obviously not the 02.00 in the morning trips. I've also always been informed of cancellations.

I will not work for agencies as it just perpetuates the problem of low rates and unqualified interpreters - we worked hard for this and I won't budge. I admit that I'm fortunate, with enough work to enable me to do so.

John, I don't double the time as I often rely on our fabulous rail network and it can take me far longer to get home than to go - I feel I should be fully compensated for freezing my suburbs off at odd hours.

I hope again that things improve for you - in bocca al lupo

Suzi
Collapse

Mimi McQuaid
Mimi McQuaid
Local time: 07:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
keep a personal stash of claim forms! Dec 20, 2009

hi,

Unfortunately it's becoming common practice for courts in London these days to refuse to make copies of the claim sheet. The way I get round this is to ask for a blank claim sheet, make several copies at home and then when I work in court fill in an extra one. Then ask the office to stamp them both (some don't even do that I know, but most do) and that's enough. I've never had a problem with any of the mags or crown courts in London, and find that staff are generally pretty h
... See more
hi,

Unfortunately it's becoming common practice for courts in London these days to refuse to make copies of the claim sheet. The way I get round this is to ask for a blank claim sheet, make several copies at home and then when I work in court fill in an extra one. Then ask the office to stamp them both (some don't even do that I know, but most do) and that's enough. I've never had a problem with any of the mags or crown courts in London, and find that staff are generally pretty happy to help.

with regard to the NRPSI log sheets, I don't think they're actually necessary. You can prove your hours with the letter/tear-off bit that comes with the cheque from the service provider.

... and can i voice my wholehearted agreement with John and Susanna, the interpreting profession would be a much better, fairly paid place to be if we all refused to work for agencies! Maybe I'm an idealist, but if all of us NRPSI interpreters showed a bit of solidarity on this one we would all benefit enormously!

Good luck!
Collapse

Kati Bumbera
France
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: personal stash and agencies Dec 21, 2009

Good idea Mimi - except of course I have to get them to agree to give me an extra copy. I'm not sure if I can trick them into thinking it is different from a photocopy. Unfortunately each court has different forms. Gosh I hate to haggle over stupid things like this!

Re: agencies: I'm a big fan of all things revolutionary. But I think it's a bit naive to
... See more
Good idea Mimi - except of course I have to get them to agree to give me an extra copy. I'm not sure if I can trick them into thinking it is different from a photocopy. Unfortunately each court has different forms. Gosh I hate to haggle over stupid things like this!

Re: agencies: I'm a big fan of all things revolutionary. But I think it's a bit naive to think that if we all refused to work for agencies the world would be a better place for interpreters. The important thing is not who we choose to work for but who the clients choose to work with. I could go on and on about it but it's enough to look at recent trends and think a bit about why that happens.

I do work for agencies as and when it makes financial sense to me. You can guess how often it is.
Collapse

Mimi McQuaid
Mimi McQuaid
Local time: 07:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
People Power!!! Dec 29, 2009

It's worked in the North West - there was a concerted effort up there earlier this year when Greater Manchester Police attempted to outsource interpreting services. NRPSI interpreters refused to work for the winning agency, which as a result was unable to send NR interpreters to do the work (as they had promised in their tender)... to date the contract hasn't taken effect, and several months after the work was supposed to have gone to the agency, as far as I know the Police are still calling in... See more
It's worked in the North West - there was a concerted effort up there earlier this year when Greater Manchester Police attempted to outsource interpreting services. NRPSI interpreters refused to work for the winning agency, which as a result was unable to send NR interpreters to do the work (as they had promised in their tender)... to date the contract hasn't taken effect, and several months after the work was supposed to have gone to the agency, as far as I know the Police are still calling interpreters directly from the NR.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Court trying to charge me £5.00 to certify my hours for the NRPSI

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »