Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 6, 2009

I have received a couple of times emails from agencies asking me if I am an interpreter approved in Court in the UK. As far as I am concerned, there is no such in the UK. The Court will do it every time they use an interpreter individually. Am I right or wrong?

[Edited at 2009-10-06 16:52 GMT]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wrong. Oct 6, 2009

As an interpreter, you are sworn in every time you interpret in court. However, courts in the UK are legally required to use an interpreter from the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, whenever possible. (see: www.nrpsi.co.uk).

Check the NRPSI's website for entry requirements.

Radka Crossley
Radka Crossley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
approved by credentials Oct 6, 2009

What Anne says is right. What they mean by that question is, do you hold a DPSI, are you on the NRPSI? Those are the interpreters courts should be using and that is what the agency wants to know. And the agencies should also know that if you are not they should not be sending you to court. Unfortunately though it is not legally binding and it is a bit of a shambles in certain areas, but I would not reccommend getting into court work unless you really are qualified.
Radka

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NRPSI.com Oct 7, 2009

i checked what was necessary to become a member and was given a list of exams.. As i myself already have a MA Translation & Interpreting, I only need one more exam, for ex., the Metropolitan Police exam or the DPSI. I checked today and found out that it will cost me £650 to do the former one. I wonder if it is really worth it. It is a lot of money and there is no way i can find out if work is there for me just because I subscribed the NRPSI.

Can anyone tell me if they are registere
... See more
i checked what was necessary to become a member and was given a list of exams.. As i myself already have a MA Translation & Interpreting, I only need one more exam, for ex., the Metropolitan Police exam or the DPSI. I checked today and found out that it will cost me £650 to do the former one. I wonder if it is really worth it. It is a lot of money and there is no way i can find out if work is there for me just because I subscribed the NRPSI.

Can anyone tell me if they are registered in the NRPSI and by doing so if they have better and continuous assignements in Courts?
Collapse

Radka Crossley
Radka Crossley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
I am member Oct 8, 2009

Hi,
I am, have been for years and don't know where I'd be without it. But as someone replied to your other post, it really does depend on many factors and the only ones who really can tell you are the ones with your language combination. But if you're a good interpeter already you many not need any training and just sit the exam which would save you money. If you do want to wark in legal environment you would struggle without being on NRPSI. But I'm surprised, I thought that MA was enough
... See more
Hi,
I am, have been for years and don't know where I'd be without it. But as someone replied to your other post, it really does depend on many factors and the only ones who really can tell you are the ones with your language combination. But if you're a good interpeter already you many not need any training and just sit the exam which would save you money. If you do want to wark in legal environment you would struggle without being on NRPSI. But I'm surprised, I thought that MA was enough for them. Then again, that may be in rare languages where there is no exam.
Collapse

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Radka Oct 10, 2009

The reason why they say my MA in Translation and Interpreting (Br Port - Engl - Br Port) is not enough has to do with the fact that I only had consecutive and simultaneous interpreting (as if it was only 'just this'). They asked me if I had had any 'sight interpreting', which I did not, hence the need to do this test. I mean £650 for this is not a little and I have start to wonder if they could only give me a test in 'sight interpreting' so I do not need to pay for the whole lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter approved in Court

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »