Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 7, 2009

i checked what was necessary to become a member and was given a list of exams.. As i myself already have a MA Translation & Interpreting, I only need one more exam, for ex., the Metropolitan Police exam or the DPSI. I checked today and found out that it will cost me £650 to do the former one. I wonder if it is really worth it. It is a lot of money and there is no way i can find out if work is there for me just because I subscribed the NRPSI.

Can anyone tell me if they are registere
... See more
i checked what was necessary to become a member and was given a list of exams.. As i myself already have a MA Translation & Interpreting, I only need one more exam, for ex., the Metropolitan Police exam or the DPSI. I checked today and found out that it will cost me £650 to do the former one. I wonder if it is really worth it. It is a lot of money and there is no way i can find out if work is there for me just because I subscribed the NRPSI.

Can anyone tell me if they are registered in the NRPSI and by doing so if they have better and continuous assignements in Courts?
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
See previous posts Oct 8, 2009

This has been discussed numerous times, which is probably why you won't get that many answers. If you do a search for 'NRPSI' in the forums, you will find some answers.
How much work you will get from joining the NRPSI in the UK depends on
1. how many other interpreters are listed on the NRPSI for your particular language.
For Portuguese, it is between 90 and 100, last time I looked.
2. where the other interpreters in your language live in relation to you.
3. h
... See more
This has been discussed numerous times, which is probably why you won't get that many answers. If you do a search for 'NRPSI' in the forums, you will find some answers.
How much work you will get from joining the NRPSI in the UK depends on
1. how many other interpreters are listed on the NRPSI for your particular language.
For Portuguese, it is between 90 and 100, last time I looked.
2. where the other interpreters in your language live in relation to you.
3. how much demand there is for your language in the courts within travelling distance
4. how easily you can travel, and whether you are prepared to accept the travel costs offered by the courts. For example, mileage paid by the courts has been reduced from 45 pence to 25 pence a mile except in special circumstances, but this is only part of the story.
5. future developments: will the courts & police continue to call NRPSI interpreters, agencies, or make use of interpreter hubs using VCR equipment? No one has a crystal ball.
I am certainly pleased that I joined the NRPSI. I can also warmly recommend the Association of Police and Court Interpreters for information and suport, but you first have to join the NRPSI and be a practicing public service interpreter.

[Edited at 2009-10-08 12:15 GMT]
Collapse

Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great help Oct 8, 2009

thanks so much Anne Lee. You helped me a lot with your comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »