Thread poster: Ana Hagen
Ana Hagen
Ana Hagen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 10, 2009

Can anyone be so kind as to give me an idea of the current rates for Danish-Portuguese-Danish simultaneous translation? It's been years since I last worked as an interpreter; nowadays it's mostly teaching and the odd translation. Are there any pre-established rates for airfare, accomodation and food? Is one supposed to set up a budget to present to the client (the potential job is in another country)? All advice is more than welcome!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:33
Flemish to English
+ ...
My 2 cents Oct 11, 2009

Accomodation, food and airfare are called per diems and have to be convened with the client (included, excluded).
People, who had the proper training at a (reputable) interpreter school ask a minimum of 500 euros per day for an entire day, experienced interpreters €650 and 850 for consecutive, no matter which language combination.

[Edited at 2009-10-11 07:38 GMT]

Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:33
Romanian to English
+ ...
Differences in terms of rates, depending on the country Oct 11, 2009

What would you call a reputable school ? I'm asking this because Romania, for instance, cannot compare to UK, so... Any other rates in Central and in Eastern Europe ? I have a feeling there are differences, though I totally agree with you in terms of training and experience (this is what actually matters, right ?) Thanks for your input !

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:33
Flemish to English
+ ...
Ciuti and the EMCI-consortium Oct 11, 2009

All the members of Ciuti.org and the EMCI-consortium. For Romania, that is the EMCI in Cluj-Napoca.
it may be that in Eastern Europe rates are somewhat lower. But like translation, it is up to the interpreter to negotiate his/her rates.

[Edited at 2009-10-11 14:57 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What things are called Oct 11, 2009

Williamson wrote:

accomodation, food and airfare are called per diems

No, they aren't. They are called expenses.
Per diem is just what the Latin says: daily (allowance). A per diem (always a fixed sum for each day) is usually just there to complement the pay and cover smaller miscellaneous expenses; it may be used to cover food and possibly accommodation costs (unusual in my experience; hotel fees are usually paid directly by the client or reimbursed based on invoice). It would be really strange if plane tickets were meant to be financed from the per diem, unless you fly there and back each day...

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is my experience as well Oct 11, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

A per diem (always a fixed sum for each day) is usually just there to complement the pay and cover smaller miscellaneous expenses; it may be used to cover food and possibly accommodation costs (unusual in my experience; hotel fees are usually paid directly by the client or reimbursed based on invoice). It would be really strange if plane tickets were meant to be financed from the per diem, unless you fly there and back each day...

If I happen to pay transportation and hotel, I'm always asked to turn over the receipts to the client's accounting department for reimbursement. At any rate, I wouldn't know how to invoice those items.

Per diem is generally the variable element of the package. It depends on consumer price index on the ground. Perhaps other colleagues may have other terms...

[Edited at 2009-10-11 18:16 GMT]

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
I woud say... Oct 11, 2009

I see here a lot of questions about interpreting rates and I read many answers with figures that may be right for the US or UK. However these rates are sistematically far below what we usually get in Germany and I think that they probably are far above what you may get in Hungary or Latvia, for example. So you must think what the regular rate in your specific country would be. I would like to underscore that no professional organization has standard rates that compulsory apply to its members, a... See more
I see here a lot of questions about interpreting rates and I read many answers with figures that may be right for the US or UK. However these rates are sistematically far below what we usually get in Germany and I think that they probably are far above what you may get in Hungary or Latvia, for example. So you must think what the regular rate in your specific country would be. I would like to underscore that no professional organization has standard rates that compulsory apply to its members, as we live on a free market and everybody negotiates individually with the client. This being said: you can find that different interpreters charge/negotiate similar rates within a country. Consecutive is more expensive than simultaneous.

As for experienced/non-experienced interpreter coming from a reknown school or not: I honestly think that whether you can do it or you can't. If you can, you should charge what this highly qualified job is worth. If you cant: don't waste your time and your client's.

Your are entitled to a honorary, and if applies because you must travel outside your home city/professional domicile:

- approche: this is the money oyu get for your travel time (if you must arrive to the conference venue the night before or if you must get up VERY early in the morning the same day of the conference/if you arrive VERY late to your professional domicile after finishing the assignment),

- train/air fare, plus accomodation and expenses (like food, taxi, etc).

For the latter you can agree with your client on a fixed amount of money (this is called per diem) or you can present the receipts of your expenses. As the case may be.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Conrado

[Editado a las 2009-10-11 22:07 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates Da-Po-Da sim. interpretation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »