Yet another possible scam...
Thread poster: Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2009

I know that many of us are already aware of this kind of stuff, but I always believe that it is better to be safe than sorry. That is why I am publishing, without names, the text of an e-mail which look suspicious, since promising a payment in advance (something that happens only in fairytales and scams):

"Greetings

My names are (sic!) Dr .... I write to inform you that we will be needing the services of a
... See more
I know that many of us are already aware of this kind of stuff, but I always believe that it is better to be safe than sorry. That is why I am publishing, without names, the text of an e-mail which look suspicious, since promising a payment in advance (something that happens only in fairytales and scams):

"Greetings

My names are (sic!) Dr .... I write to inform you that we will be needing the services of a language translator whom would translate English language to the hired Turkish dancers that will be performing during our 6th wedding anniversary coming up on 16th of Dec 2009,the dancers will be having the rehearsal classes with a dancing instructor who only speaks and understand the English language so the translator will now mediate between the dancers and the dancing instructor,this is for a better communication among them,the classes will last for 16 days of four hours each day(6pm _10pm)(Monday -Saturday)respectively.

We will like to secure this services with you and pay you in an upfront payment deposit for you to hold the dates and appointment with us, What are your cost for hourly hiring ? would you be available for this classes ?

Your reply on the above stated will be appreciated."

Thank God I don't translate from/to Turkish
Collapse

Roberto Bertuol
Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Same scam different style Oct 28, 2009

I did come accross a similar scam a few months ago. I was contacted by this African gentleman who wanted me to teach Italian to his daughter who was going to stay with her uncle in London for the summer. The gentleman also offered to pay upfront and asked for my address so that he could send me a check. I did a quick search on the internet and found out that it is a standard scam. They send you a check for 10 times the amount you requested, then they contact you saying that they made a mistake a... See more
I did come accross a similar scam a few months ago. I was contacted by this African gentleman who wanted me to teach Italian to his daughter who was going to stay with her uncle in London for the summer. The gentleman also offered to pay upfront and asked for my address so that he could send me a check. I did a quick search on the internet and found out that it is a standard scam. They send you a check for 10 times the amount you requested, then they contact you saying that they made a mistake and ask if you can transfer the difference back into their bank account. The cheque looks like a regular one and so does the serial number so the bank credits it onto your bank account without any problems. It is only after a few weeks that it bounces back and by then you have already transferred the excess money to some obscure offshore bank accounts.
What happened to you sounds very similar
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The keyword is "upfront" Oct 28, 2009

Every scam tries to lure us with something we desire but is impossible to attain in the real world, so in the case of us translators, the keyword is "upfront payment". If you see that, you can be 99% sure that it is a scam.

It is incredible how scammers know what people think and wish. It makes me think that our worst enemy in life is our own desire.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another possible scam...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »