Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
After machine translation, here comes machine interpreting!
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
English to German
+ ...
Would be fun Nov 7, 2009

I'd love to see the faces of people listening to speeches by say George Bush, John Prescott or Boris Johnson instantaneously "translated" into Japanese!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Doubtful Nov 7, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Some who are 25-30 years old should better start worrying.
If a career, freelance or otherwise as an interpreter spans 4 decades, where will they be in say 2050 at the current rate of technological evolution. I know where I will be in 2050 : dead and gone. No worries for me.
Make no mistake, if the current Mekka of interpreting (E.U.-institutions)can save costs by gradually replacing interpreters by machines (robots) which are (almost) as perfomant as humans, it will be done.
Not by sacking people, but by not replacing them by youngsters. That's the way social minded state owned companies do it.

Unless they constrain speakers (demand clear pronounciation and very simple, short sentences with very clear wording and no figures of speech), I don't think machine interpreting can get close to humans. This is not really the usual case of tecnological development: this is not a matter of raw computing power. It can't be solved by brute force, it needs very smart algorithms. Perhaps smarter than a computer can ever be.
Then of course, who knows... Maybe the truly massive databases that will be created in the next few decades and the smart analysis tools that are being developed will allow a machine to truly "understand" texts or at least act like it.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
PR agency definitely got results Nov 7, 2009

This is, at least, the third thread about this product at proz.

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
More fuel into the fire ! Nov 7, 2009

Forget, robotics, chess, rule-based and statistical MT algorithms, they have little to do with interpretation.

Kedves András:
Not only it is not beside the point, it is the only way to do it.
It is true that programmers approach problems differently than humans. That is the problem in this case.

¿Why do I think so?
Speech recognition and voice synthesizing are already here, and rapidly improving.
The engine in the middle can not and will not b
... See more
Forget, robotics, chess, rule-based and statistical MT algorithms, they have little to do with interpretation.

Kedves András:
Not only it is not beside the point, it is the only way to do it.
It is true that programmers approach problems differently than humans. That is the problem in this case.

¿Why do I think so?
Speech recognition and voice synthesizing are already here, and rapidly improving.
The engine in the middle can not and will not be any MT algorithm (they are useless for this task), but a model replicating what interpreters do every day.
Storage capacity and processing speed are skyrocketing and becoming cheaper and cheaper, and it is just a matter of reaching the cost/benefit threshold.

Dear Parrot:
You got it, interpretation does not function literally (no need).
Models proposed are certainly complex.
If you are interested in reading one more of the "Copy what happens in Nature" type, just contact me.

Best wishes to all !

[Edited at 2009-11-07 17:28 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Really? Nov 7, 2009

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

The engine in the middle can not and will not be any MT algorithm (they are useless for this task), but a model replicating what interpreters do every day.

What makes you think so? Why do you think spoken text is so different from written text that a "traditional" MT algorithm wouldn't be the way to go?

As to replicating human thought processes as complex as those related to language, I can only repeat that computers are awful at it and get much better results through an approach that builds on their own strengths.

There are scientists out there working on replicating the human brain itself. Given its almost unparallelled complexity, this may never succeed... if it does, the final product might function like a human brain and might be able to interpret like a human. But this is pure science fiction, and if someone were to do it, they will probably have better uses for it than replacing human interpreters...

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I don't see it badly... Nov 7, 2009

Hello,

As I see it a development in Robotics is needed if men want to conquer space, sending an "intelligent" machine to space would solve many technical problems...

Furthermore, the automatic interpretation would be very useful in this aspect as they would be able to send people from different countries, and they would be able to communicate perfectly without the help of a third party...

And the applications to machien interpreting/translation could be tre
... See more
Hello,

As I see it a development in Robotics is needed if men want to conquer space, sending an "intelligent" machine to space would solve many technical problems...

Furthermore, the automatic interpretation would be very useful in this aspect as they would be able to send people from different countries, and they would be able to communicate perfectly without the help of a third party...

And the applications to machien interpreting/translation could be tremendously useful in terms of cost and applications !

The matter is very serious and could be compared to an industrial revolution...

The problem isn't what nature does, it's how to use it to go farther...

Again that's my opinion...

Regards,
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
How probable is Nov 8, 2009

an interpreting machine/robot?

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Very probable, it may be just around the corner Nov 8, 2009

But not via MT, simply because translation and interpretation are two different kettle of fish, as written text is very different from spontaneous speech.

There are out there many good translators who are poor interpreters (and viceversa).

No need either to wait millenia until scientists, maybe, "replicate the human brain".

Interpreting by humans works well enough, and it is a fairly straightforward mechanical task that can be done without having to "think
... See more
But not via MT, simply because translation and interpretation are two different kettle of fish, as written text is very different from spontaneous speech.

There are out there many good translators who are poor interpreters (and viceversa).

No need either to wait millenia until scientists, maybe, "replicate the human brain".

Interpreting by humans works well enough, and it is a fairly straightforward mechanical task that can be done without having to "think".

Did you ever see someone in the booth interpreting from language A into language B, and at the same time reading a newspeper, writing a letter or solving crossword puzzles in a third language? I have seen it, more than once.

Interpreters only have to find in their hard disk the best matches for what is called "units of sense" (nothing to do with traditional grammar).

This should be child's play for a modern computer, provided it has been fed with the routines and data used by human interpreters, and refined by training.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
one step further .... Nov 9, 2009

Claudio Porcellana wrote:
but why stopping only here?
software companies can even create a MP (machine proofreader)...

... or a machine client, so that the machine agency can do without the human interface.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
one step further .... Nov 9, 2009

hàhàhà
great answer VitoSmolej

Claudio

P.S. clearly, this post comes from a machine teller ...

[Modificato alle 2009-11-10 11:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After machine translation, here comes machine interpreting!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »