hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 20:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2010

Hello, everyone

I recently read about an interpreter who was supposedly the longest serving Spanish-English interpreter in U.S. federal court. He interpreted for 35 years and retired this past December at the age of 70. However, I cannot see any reason why he retired in the article. He doesn't mention getting worse or anything like that. Does anyone know how long interpreters usually work in federal court? I thought there were a bunch of Spanish-English interpreters who had bee
... See more
Hello, everyone

I recently read about an interpreter who was supposedly the longest serving Spanish-English interpreter in U.S. federal court. He interpreted for 35 years and retired this past December at the age of 70. However, I cannot see any reason why he retired in the article. He doesn't mention getting worse or anything like that. Does anyone know how long interpreters usually work in federal court? I thought there were a bunch of Spanish-English interpreters who had been interpreting for 35 years. Your thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1383878.html
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
EU Jan 6, 2010

As far as I know, the EU sends all its interpreters into retirement at 65.
I think 70 is really pushing it for simultaneous... Over 70, most people's concentration, memory, speed etc. are not what they used to be - and most people don't have the desire or the energy for daily work at that age, I'd think.
Of course, there are exceptions.

hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 20:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 7, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

As far as I know, the EU sends all its interpreters into retirement at 65.
I think 70 is really pushing it for simultaneous... Over 70, most people's concentration, memory, speed etc. are not what they used to be - and most people don't have the desire or the energy for daily work at that age, I'd think.
Of course, there are exceptions.

Thanks for responding, FarkasAndras. Yes, he must have had a very alert mind to be able to interpret simultaneously for so many years. I guess this article is reason to be optimistic, though. If he was able to interpret until the age of 70, maybe other people can too.

gracemex
gracemex  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is age an obstacle for getting interpreting jobs?? May 31, 2010

Hello hfp, FarkasAndras , everyone :

You know ? This comment is really interesting. I mean, when thinking of a person who has been working as an interpreter for so many years and at that age...is really amazing ¡¡ (good for him).

So I can't help to take up again the age topic since....( to tell you the truth ¡¡¡)I´m really starting my career as a freelance Interpreter ...at my fourties ¡¡¡ ooh ¡.

I´ve always felt passion for this profession b
... See more
Hello hfp, FarkasAndras , everyone :

You know ? This comment is really interesting. I mean, when thinking of a person who has been working as an interpreter for so many years and at that age...is really amazing ¡¡ (good for him).

So I can't help to take up again the age topic since....( to tell you the truth ¡¡¡)I´m really starting my career as a freelance Interpreter ...at my fourties ¡¡¡ ooh ¡.

I´ve always felt passion for this profession but I had not the chance of studying for it when I was young (even though I´ve always studied and practiced english in my former jobs) nor getting much experience...until now ¡¡ .In fact it was just three years ago when I took a formal training (1 year course) for interpreters here in my city,México city, but before that, I had made some consecutive and whispering interpretation in some of my jobs in transnational companies. (of course english to spanish, spanish to english)

My dream and goal is to get much more preparation, experience (specially in sim.) and of course to work constantly, but honestly sometimes I wonder : ¿¿Am I too old for it ??? As I said I consider Interpreting as an exciting and interesting career, besides I must add that here in my country at this age is very difficult to get a steady job in a company ( even related to my first career which is admin-finances), so that is another reason for being a freelancer...

What do you think? is age an obstacle ??
Thanks a lot for reading me
Greetings from México
Grace
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Common age to retire for federal court interpreters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »