SOS from an aspiring interpreter
Thread poster: bosbosoriginal
Mar 19, 2010

Hello,
my mother language is Italian, I would like to pass the test to join ESIT.
In the same time I searched for other schools, in France and Belgium but it seems that they doesn't allow me to join with italian as my language A, the only way could be to enter with french B as A.
So I'm confused and I don't know if I should accept or not this proposition.
What do you think about?
Do you know other schools where I could try?
Thank you!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Level of your languages. Mar 19, 2010

bosbosoriginal wrote:

Hello,
my mother language is Italian, I would like to pass the test to join ESIT.
In the same time I searched for other schools, in France and Belgium but it seems that they doesn't allow me to join with italian as my language A, the only way could be to enter with french B as A.
So I'm confused and I don't know if I should accept or not this proposition.
What do you think about?
Do you know other schools where I could try?
Thank you!

ESIT requires both French and English to be of a very high level. If you choose French as A, you will have to know it at the same level as Italian (no looking for words or expressions) and even at C-level your English has to be very good.
"They doesn't allow"-English will not make you pass the tests. It is a basic mistake against English grammar.
Out of a couple of hundred people who participate in the admission tests, 30 on an average are admitted in all the languages combinations.

ETI-Geneva offers Italian as A.
For this year, you are too late. Don't know whether you always write without punctuation. The first part of the admission test consist of translations in your A-language.

You could try http://www.sslmit.units.it with Italian A or Westminster with Italian as A, but with what combination and given the levels of both schools, won't it be better to live in a French or English-language environment for a year. I doubt that English spoken like Captain Bertorelli will be acceptable. How good are your proverbs and cultural references in your B or C-languages and their equivalent in your A-language.
Whatever you choose, all the schools require a high level of all your languages. Not: I "know" French and English and.... (you need at least two foreign languages), but I have a superior knowledge of my A-language and a very good knowledge of C-languages.

As long as you don't possess an adquate domination of the language, did not read a newspaper every day in all your working languages and compared how newspapers relate current-day events in different languages, as long as you did not read a weekly and a monthly and this at least five-three (minimum) months before their tests, your chances to get in are not very good. It is better to wait a year.

[Edited at 2010-03-19 17:55 GMT]

bosbosoriginal
bosbosoriginal
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Mar 19, 2010

Thank you Teacher!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wondering... Mar 19, 2010

Do you have something against Trieste (SSLMIT)? They are in the EMCI network, I'd think they are the obvious choice for Italian speakers.
Are you hell bent on living in a French-speaking area?

I'd definitely pick a course that offers Italian A, be it in Italy, France or Belgium.

bosbosoriginal
bosbosoriginal
TOPIC STARTER
nothing against Trieste Mar 20, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Do you have something against Trieste (SSLMIT)? They are in the EMCI network, I'd think they are the obvious choice for Italian speakers.

I'd definitely pick a course that offers Italian A, be it in Italy, France or Belgium.

I have nothing against Trieste but as I live in France I'm searching something here.
Thanks

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
In France Mar 20, 2010

bosbosoriginal wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I have nothing against Trieste but as I live in France I'm searching something here.
Thanks

In France, you have ESIT, ISIT, University of Strassbourg (Marc Bloch), none with Italian as A-language. I am not a professor. All the schools mentioned have admission tests. Up to you to pass them. Making basic mistakes against one of your working-languages will make eyebrows frown. Also have a look at www.ciuti.org

[Edited at 2010-03-20 12:03 GMT]

bosbosoriginal
bosbosoriginal
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 20, 2010

Williamson wrote:

bosbosoriginal wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Thanks

In France, you have ESIT, ISIT, University of Strassbourg (Marc Bloch), none with Italian as A-language. I am not a professor. All the schools mentioned have admission tests. Up to you to pass them. Making basic mistakes against one of your working-languages will make eyebrows frown. Also have a look at www.ciuti.org

[Edited at 2010-03-20 12:03 GMT]

Esit and Isit admits students with italian as A-language. Strasbourg doesn't.

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Contradiction. Mar 22, 2010

You contradict yourself. In your posting you say that ESIT does not admit people with Italian A. In your last, you say they do. From what I've heard (on the grapevine), if there are sufficient students to set up a year with Italian as A or special incentives coming from Brussels (EU) such a training people with Estonian A, they will do so. So, that leaves only ISIT. Is more costly. You'd better start saving for next year. If not, you'll have to go to Italy.

[Edited at 2010-03-22 13
... See more
You contradict yourself. In your posting you say that ESIT does not admit people with Italian A. In your last, you say they do. From what I've heard (on the grapevine), if there are sufficient students to set up a year with Italian as A or special incentives coming from Brussels (EU) such a training people with Estonian A, they will do so. So, that leaves only ISIT. Is more costly. You'd better start saving for next year. If not, you'll have to go to Italy.

[Edited at 2010-03-22 13:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-22 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

bosbosoriginal
bosbosoriginal
TOPIC STARTER
never said that Mar 22, 2010

Williamson wrote:

[Edited at 2010-03-22 13:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-22 13:32 GMT]

I never said that ESIT doesn't admit people with Italian A. I was referring to Belgian schools.
Thanks anyway for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SOS from an aspiring interpreter

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »