DPSI - exam topics on IoL web-site
Thread poster: NataliaUK
NataliaUK
NataliaUK
English to Russian
May 18, 2010

I was told that IoL posts the topics for the DPSI several weeks before the exam. Today looked at their web-site - nothing. Does anyone know when to expect the topics to be uploaded?

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't know May 18, 2010

Hello Natalia,

I am taking the DPSI exam this June too. I haven't heard that the CIoL published the topics in advance, Is it really so?

I have another question about the whispered interpreting component. How fast do the interlocutors read their text? I've asked my husband to record some samples for me and I can't catch up even speaking at my full speed. Russian words and sentences are longer. Any ideas?

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Not when I did it May 18, 2010

Hi Natalia,

I took the DPSI in 2001 and, at the time, we didn't know the topics in advance.
Maybe things have changed in the meantime...

Good luck, anyway!

Livia

Yelena.
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Too early May 18, 2010

According to this document:

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/londonmet/library/w14004_24.doc

the Chartered Institute of Linguists publishes the topics of the DPSI exam 2 to 3 weeks before the exam date.

So it's probably too early at the moment. We need to keep checking!

NataliaUK
NataliaUK
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
not sure how it's going to be with the Russian but May 19, 2010

Hi, Yelena

I'm doing the exam without any formal preparation but looking at the past papers. I spoke to my friends (Ita, Port, Spa) who took the exam several years ago: according to them, the speech's speed is slow enough for the candidate to interpret. I'm not sure how it's going to be with the Russian, but I decided to go for it to see what it looks like.

I also asked my colleague to record tasks 1a & b for me instructing him to read with a normal pace. Will start
... See more
Hi, Yelena

I'm doing the exam without any formal preparation but looking at the past papers. I spoke to my friends (Ita, Port, Spa) who took the exam several years ago: according to them, the speech's speed is slow enough for the candidate to interpret. I'm not sure how it's going to be with the Russian, but I decided to go for it to see what it looks like.

I also asked my colleague to record tasks 1a & b for me instructing him to read with a normal pace. Will start practicing over the week-end.

I'm not sure what approach to take with respect of such words as "дерьмовый" (дерьмовая еда) – shitty or lousy food? - or "тюрягя". I know that the legal interpreting/translation as well as mental health should be almost literal. Any advice on that?
Collapse

NataliaUK
NataliaUK
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I rang the IoL May 19, 2010

Thank you, Livia.

I rang the IoL: topics should be available on their web-site from 1 June.

maisa liswi
maisa liswi
Jordan
Local time: 23:21
English to Arabic
whispering interpretation May 19, 2010

hello,
I'm an English/Arabic interpreter, from experience i learned that the person you are whispering to is usually not interested in hearing all the details, unlike similtanous interpretation, so you can summerise the main ideas only, this is the best way to do it, good luck
Maisa Liswi

Yelena.
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
That's great May 19, 2010

Hello Natalia,

That's great news! Before I saw your posting today I enquired with my test centre and they also confirmed, the Institute should either publish the topics on the website or contact us directly.

I am not attending any courses either. I was advised by some interpreters that they would not be particularly helpful in large groups as the instructor can't possibly speak every language and give examples in several languages or check your competency.

... See more
Hello Natalia,

That's great news! Before I saw your posting today I enquired with my test centre and they also confirmed, the Institute should either publish the topics on the website or contact us directly.

I am not attending any courses either. I was advised by some interpreters that they would not be particularly helpful in large groups as the instructor can't possibly speak every language and give examples in several languages or check your competency.

I also have past papers and will order a DVD now, I think. Just to see the set-up etc. I believe the guidelines say the translation/interpreting should be as close as possible to the original style so I would translate дерьмовая еда as shitty food and тюряга as slammer (that's the slang word, my husband said).
Collapse

Livia D'Ettorre
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't agree with this May 20, 2010

Yelena. wrote:

Hi Yelena,
I think following a course is not necessary, however it helps a lot. If I hadn't followed mine, I wouldn't have known how to prepare for the exam, except from looking at past papers. It is true that an instructor can't speak every language, however he/she is there to teach you techniques, give you some tips and advice on which books you should read and so on. You also have another teacher who speaks your language and checks your translations/interpreting skills. I personally like the fact that someone corrects my mistakes, as this is a way to learn and improve. I thoroughly enjoyed my course and would highly recommend it. Of course it also depends on the teachers you get...

NataliaUK
NataliaUK
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
courses, marking, resources May 20, 2010

Livia D'Ettorre wrote:

[ You also have another teacher who speaks your language and checks your translations/interpreting skills. ... Of course it also depends on the teachers you get...

I don't know what the situation in other regions is, but in Grater London, the colleges only provide a language tutor if there are a certain number of students for this particular language (5 or more). Normally, you don't know how many speakers of your language are going to attend and to stay from the very beginning to the very end of course. The course itself is quite expensive and it would be a shame if you cannot benefit from having sessions with your language tutor. Unfortunately, that's the situation with Russian.

One person who did the DPSI a while ago said that in preparation for the exam she was using GCSE Law course book (legal system, courts etc). I haven't done so purely because of lack of time this year, but that definitely will be my strategy for the next year, unless I'm lucky

Whispered (and other) interpreting and marking

There are assessment criteria in the DPSI handbook. However, I think, it's much to the examiners' discretion how they evaluate summarised or any other interpreting.

I think that the examiners hardly have any training at all on how to mark the works having the marking criteria sent to them by post. The other thing is that the examiners of one language may be located anywhere across the country, which means that each examiner is using her/his own judgement - because from the organisers point of view it's difficult and economically irrational to run separate exam marking trainings for all the language assessors in order to unify the evaluation standards. Simpler and cheaper either to have one training for all (probably done ages ago, if at all) or post the relevant paperwork.

Anyway, I will try to interpret as much as I can.

To Yelena

I received exams information from the CIoL yesterday: times, venues and maps.

We can swap the past papers each of us has to have more practice. We can email each other directly through ProZ contact.

Livia D'Ettorre
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe the situation has changed May 20, 2010

Natalia,

I guess things must have changed since I took the exam. Unless I am getting old and forgetting what happened a few years ago.

NataliaUK wrote:

I don't know what the situation in other regions is, but in Grater London, the colleges only provide a language tutor if there are a certain number of students for this particular language (5 or more). Normally, you don't know how many speakers of your language are going to attend and to stay from the very beginning to the very end of course. The course itself is quite expensive and it would be a shame if you cannot benefit from having sessions with your language tutor. Unfortunately, that's the situation with Russian.

I also used to live in London and followed the course in Greater London. It is true that I had to wait until the last minute to know whether the course would go ahead or not, because they needed a minimum of six people per course (not per language, but in total). In fact I actually wanted to follow the health option, but there weren't enough students, so I opted for the legal one. We all had a language tutor, even groups with less than 6 people. It could be that in the meantime they decided to cut costs and have a minimum of six students per language. :-S

NataliaUK wrote:
One person who did the DPSI a while ago said that in preparation for the exam she was using GCSE Law course book (legal system, courts etc). I haven't done so purely because of lack of time this year, but that definitely will be my strategy for the next year, unless I'm lucky

One of the books we used for the course, which might help you, is "Interpreters and the legal process" by Joan Colin and Ruth Morris ...
Of course I hope you can pass it this year! I do believe that you can pass the exam even without following the course, it just helps if you do.

Yelena.
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you May 21, 2010

Thank you, Natalia, I've emailed you a list of the past papers I've got.

NataliaUK
NataliaUK
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
"Interpreters and the legal process" May 21, 2010

Livia D'Ettorre wrote:

One of the books we used for the course, which might help you, is "Interpreters and the legal process" by Joan Colin and Ruth Morris ...

Many thanks, Livia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI - exam topics on IoL web-site

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »