Giulia Faraguna
Giulia Faraguna  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 28, 2010

Hello

a customer offers me full time interpreting, 7 days a month, 12 hour x day from english to spanish;
The job will be one month and a half and he offers 145€ a month plus accomodation and meals, including VAT; it will make 6.090€ net including VAT.

I have some experience in conference interpreting, I am starting as a professional. Normally I charge much more per hour, it is a good price?

Regards

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Flemish to English
+ ...
Calculation. May 28, 2010

Giulietti wrote:

Hello

a customer offers me full time interpreting, 7 days a month, 12 hour x day from english to spanish;
The job will be one month and a half and he offers 145€ a month plus accomodation and meals, including VAT; it will make 6.090€ net including VAT.

I have some experience in conference interpreting, I am starting as a professional. Normally I charge much more per hour, it is a good price?

Regards

Don't know how you calculate.
Net including VAT is not net.
Is it 7 days a month or per week?
Count a miminum of €50 per hour x 12 hours x 7 (days/per month?)x VAT and doesn't Spain have something like IPFRS. 12 hours per day alone? This is not €6.090 net including VAT.
I still have to meet an interpreter, who can interpret 12 consecutive hours.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:17
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Interpreting 12 hours a day May 28, 2010

Williamson wrote:

I completely agree.

I've been interpreting since 1992 and I can safely say that it's not easy to interpret 12 hours a day, let alone do it for 1.5 months in a row.

No matter the price, just be sure that you don't get yourself into a tight spot.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 00:49 GMT]

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good Luck May 29, 2010

Laureana Pavon wrote:

Williamson wrote:

I completely agree.

I've been interpreting since 1992 and I can safely say that it's not easy to interpret 12 hours a day, let alone do it for 1.5 months in a row.

No matter the price, just be sure that you don't get yourself into a tight spot.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 00:49 GMT]

I would not say that "it is not easy to interpret 12 hours a day", I would say that it is IMPOSSIBLE. And if you don't just believe my words, try an experiment with for instance some documentaries (you'll need about 6 of them in order to cover the 12 hours) and see how you make it interpreting them. I bet you won't make it after the second one.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Flemish to English
+ ...
Overnight interpreter? May 29, 2010

"I have had some experience":
Without a formal training in conference interpreting, chances are that you fail. Those who had one, usually passed entrance exams, went to a grilling experience of training and get out of the school ready for the market (most of them). They have been taught that there are at least 2 people in a booth, who alternately interpret about 20-25 minutes.

If you mean 12 hours, 7 days a week 4 weeks per month. Nobody can do that.

Now back to
... See more
"I have had some experience":
Without a formal training in conference interpreting, chances are that you fail. Those who had one, usually passed entrance exams, went to a grilling experience of training and get out of the school ready for the market (most of them). They have been taught that there are at least 2 people in a booth, who alternately interpret about 20-25 minutes.

If you mean 12 hours, 7 days a week 4 weeks per month. Nobody can do that.

Now back to the transcription of a class given by a high-speed rattler. If you get one of those 12 hours, 7 days and 4 week, my condolences to your relatives.
Collapse

Giulia Faraguna
Giulia Faraguna  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you May 29, 2010

Thank you for your advices, I won't accept the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting quotation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »