Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 9, 2010

I have to supply the NRPSI with an Enhanced Disclosure check as my Standard Disclosure is no longer valid. As self-employed, I cannot apply myself and have to use an umbrella body. However, easier said than done as the ones I've contacted so far on the CRB list also won't deal with me as a freelance individual.
Has anybody found a suitable umbrella body and, if so, please could they pass the name on to me?
Thanks
Suzi

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
list of umbrella bodies Jul 9, 2010

Is this the list you've already tried?
http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/individuals/standard-enhanced/umberella/index.html

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Umbrella body Jul 9, 2010

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/umbrella_body_search.aspx

No, this one.
It's not finding a list that's the problem, I was wondering if anybody had used and could recommend a particular umbrella body
Thanks
Suzi

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Umbrella Body Aug 31, 2010

I used this company, very good, in the end. A very helpful fellow RPSI gave me their name after I posted in the graveyard which is the NRPSI forum.

Access Personal Checking Services
4 Greenfield Road
SOUTHPORT
Merseyside. PR8 5LX

Suzi

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Request Sep 2, 2010

Suzi,

Not such a graveyard if you received a helpful reply, which you did not receive here.

I would ask you for future reference to refrain from criticising fora, on which you were given useful info.

Thank you.

Kasia

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Graveyard reference Sep 2, 2010

Hi Kasia,

I acknowledged the help I received and expressed my thanks, however my comment was meant to be descriptive and definitely not critical. I still feel that a forum where the last postings were 27/8, then 24/8 and prior to that 10/8 is not the most lively. Certainly no criticism of the help I received or of my fellow interpreters was intended or evident as far as I can see. I acknowledge that I do not participate in the forum but that is largely due to the topics.
... See more
Hi Kasia,

I acknowledged the help I received and expressed my thanks, however my comment was meant to be descriptive and definitely not critical. I still feel that a forum where the last postings were 27/8, then 24/8 and prior to that 10/8 is not the most lively. Certainly no criticism of the help I received or of my fellow interpreters was intended or evident as far as I can see. I acknowledge that I do not participate in the forum but that is largely due to the topics.

In what capacity is your request to refrain being made, please? If in an official capacity, then this should be stated and if not, I question your right to ask me to refrain.

To conclude, I do not accept your viewpoint and if you look, far more truly critical comments are regularly made in the Proz fora about Proz itself, and posters then debate the issue, and are very rarely censured.

Contrary to your view, a little criticism, perceived or otherwise, contributes to a healthy forum as, hopefully, proven by this exchange.

Suzi
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Request Sep 2, 2010

I ask you in my capacity of a proz user. There are helpful colleagues everywhere and if it was not for the forum you refer to, your query would not be answered.

I agree that criticism is useful, but maybe you should raise it with the forum you criticise first?

Regards

Kasia

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Criticism Sep 2, 2010

Kasia,

As I have no desire to discuss this ad infinitum, my final response is:

- there was no criticism of the NRPSI
- there was no criticism of the helpful response received from my fellow interpreter
- the use of the word 'graveyard' is a description, not a criticism, of the lack of traffic on the NRPSI forum
- only moderators and site staff are able to 'request' that posts be edited or have the power to remove them; as far as I am aware, you are nei
... See more
Kasia,

As I have no desire to discuss this ad infinitum, my final response is:

- there was no criticism of the NRPSI
- there was no criticism of the helpful response received from my fellow interpreter
- the use of the word 'graveyard' is a description, not a criticism, of the lack of traffic on the NRPSI forum
- only moderators and site staff are able to 'request' that posts be edited or have the power to remove them; as far as I am aware, you are neither
- were there a problem with my post, then moderators/site staff would have informed me of such, and they have not done so
- if you feel there is a problem, then you are perfectly entitled to call a moderator or send a support ticket, stating the rule violation

Disagree with me, by all means, that is your right, but please be aware that you cannot ask me to 'refrain' from anything without the authority to do so.

Best wishes

Suzi
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Request Sep 3, 2010

Dear Suzi,

I have tried to answer your queries in the past and you found my responses helpful.

I have asked you politely to refrain from critising other fora for interpreters, particularly when you have been helped by them. I think it is discourteous to those of our colleagues who provide platforms for other fora, even if there is no much traffic there (it is the quality that counts, not quantity). Being discourteous does not necessarily mean that it contravenes any r
... See more
Dear Suzi,

I have tried to answer your queries in the past and you found my responses helpful.

I have asked you politely to refrain from critising other fora for interpreters, particularly when you have been helped by them. I think it is discourteous to those of our colleagues who provide platforms for other fora, even if there is no much traffic there (it is the quality that counts, not quantity). Being discourteous does not necessarily mean that it contravenes any rules to such an extent that a moderator has to be involved.

If you cannot understand that it would be very difficult for you to receive a helpful answer now to any new query of yours, so be it.

Adieu.

Kasia
Collapse

atarget (X)
atarget (X)
Local time: 06:24
Polish to English
To Kasia. Dec 13, 2010

kasiak wrote:

Suzi,

Not such a graveyard if you received a helpful reply, which you did not receive here.

I would ask you for future reference to refrain from criticising fora, on which you were given useful info.

Thank you.

Kasia

Kasia, please be advised that "fora" is plural of "forum" in Polish only. In English it will be "forums". Just F.Y.I. And please, do not take it as any form of "criticising":)

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
to atarget Dec 15, 2010

Thanks for your advice, but if you do not mind I will stick to 'fora'.

I like to show off that I know Latin, you see... (probably tells you how old I am)

Anyway, I am sure you will find plenty of opportunity to correct the language of non-native users of English, so I wish you luck...and welcome to proz...

atarget (X)
atarget (X)
Local time: 06:24
Polish to English
Lingua Latina Dec 15, 2010

kasiak wrote:

Thanks for your advice, but if you do not mind I will stick to 'fora'.

I like to show off that I know Latin, you see... (probably tells you how old I am)

Anyway, I am sure you will find plenty of opportunity to correct the language of non-native users of English, so I wish you luck...and welcome to proz...

Volenti nihil difficile.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 12:24
English to Latvian
+ ...
Fora Jan 12, 2011

atarget wrote:
Kasia, please be advised that "fora" is plural of "forum" in Polish only. In English it will be "forums". Just F.Y.I. And please, do not take it as any form of "criticising":)

Fora is a perfecty fine English (Latin) plural, don't know about Polish. Look up a dictionary, if you don't believe me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Enhanced CRB Check

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »