How to become an interpreter (In new york)
Thread poster: TopGuy
TopGuy
TopGuy
United States
Local time: 18:01
Jul 13, 2010

Im a native israeli in new york how do i become an interpreter , Is there some test?.
I heard hebrew interpreters are needed .Which type of jobs can i get provided i pass the exam?
My english and hebrew are (Almost) perfect.

[Edited at 2010-07-14 02:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-14 02:28 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not perfect Jul 14, 2010

I cannot judge your Hebrew, but your English is far from perfect. I suggest you work on it before attempting anything else.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Henry. Jul 14, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:

I cannot judge your Hebrew, but your English is far from perfect. I suggest you work on it before attempting anything else.

TopGuy
TopGuy
United States
Local time: 18:01
TOPIC STARTER
You should be ashamed Jul 14, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:

A man your age should not show your ugly side to the whole world.You should be ashamed a man your age... Anyway Where i go to get such a certification. After if i pass the test would it hurt your ego?
Is that why you dont want to answer a simple question?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome Jul 14, 2010

Hello, TopGuy, and welcome to the site.

There's no need to get personal (please note http://www.proz.com/rules/ ). This site is about language and we limit our interventions to topics related to language.

As regards your question, it may be of interest to look up the Consortium for State Court Interpreter Certification. Apparently, New York tests and approves interpreters, but does no
... See more
Hello, TopGuy, and welcome to the site.

There's no need to get personal (please note http://www.proz.com/rules/ ). This site is about language and we limit our interventions to topics related to language.

As regards your question, it may be of interest to look up the Consortium for State Court Interpreter Certification. Apparently, New York tests and approves interpreters, but does not issue certifications: http://devlegacy.ncsc.org/WC/CourTopics/FAQs.asp?topic=CtInte

This could also be of further interest: http://www.ncsconline.org/D_Research/CourtInterp.html

And to give you an idea of what goes on in such exams: http://www.jud.ct.gov/external/news/jobs/interpreter/Overview_Written_Oral_Exams.pdf

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
English to Romanian
+ ...
For Topguy Jul 15, 2010

I would say "Thank you " in your place to Henry and other professionals in regarding
my English, especially if I`m a new user and a future interpreter.Being sarcastic doesn`t helps
much.Maybe more life experience will help and also at this stage, listening and reading should be a priority rather than talking

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 15:01
English to Russian
+ ...
A question of attitude Sep 28, 2010

TopGuy wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:

A man your age should not show your ugly side to the whole world.You should be ashamed a man your age... Anyway Where i go to get such a certification. After if i pass the test would it hurt your ego?
Is that why you dont want to answer a simple question?

TopGuy, there is one thing you need to take into consideration, and it's not the level of English (which will improve with time, I have no doubt of that).

Based on my 11 years experience as an interpreter, I can tell you that in our profession, we do get criticized rather often. No matter how good a professional you are, facing criticism is unavoidable. It's part of our life. Sometimes the criticism is just, while in the majority of cases, it's totally unjust. I once interpreted at a deposition where one of the attorneys objected to my interpretations every time I interpreted a sentence. I kid you not.

So, if you want to be an interpreter, you must be able to deal with criticism calmly and without taking it personally. It's a skill that is at least as important as good language skills. If you are going to become defensive every time somebody utters a word of criticism, consider a different profession.

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:01
English to Polish
+ ...
To TopGuy Sep 29, 2010

Finding your way to ProZ.com was a good step - it's a huge data base of freelancers, agencies, and above all - of questions of each and every sort. But you need to help us help you!

Leaving your knowledge of English and the savoir-vivre aside, I can tell you that people (not only at this website) are more likely to respond to requests of a person who has a name, a photo, a story (even if the story would be 4 sentences in your profile).

Introduce yourself, surf among us
... See more
Finding your way to ProZ.com was a good step - it's a huge data base of freelancers, agencies, and above all - of questions of each and every sort. But you need to help us help you!

Leaving your knowledge of English and the savoir-vivre aside, I can tell you that people (not only at this website) are more likely to respond to requests of a person who has a name, a photo, a story (even if the story would be 4 sentences in your profile).

Introduce yourself, surf among us a little bit, maybe help someone having problems in Hebrew?
This will make you a more recognisable (and "aswerable" ) person.

Anyway, good luck and stay calm!

[Edited at 2010-09-29 04:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become an interpreter (In new york)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »