Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2010

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11582641&c_id=cin

Aroldis Chapman is now a major leaguer. This guy throws heat heat heat!

I envy the guy sitting next to him, his interpreter. Good luck to him.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not very accurate, is he? Sep 2, 2010

or have they cut out parts of the press conference? Seems I don't get to hear much of Arnoldus talking and the other guy just goes on and on.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aroldis Sep 2, 2010

I was waiting for someone to make that comment. I thought the editing of the interview was the culprit, but I'm not so sure. We'll see if the same interpreter is there for the next interview. I'd like to volunteer for the position!

Me siento muy orgulloso = I feel really happy?

I think the interpreter did finally say, "I feel really proud", but where does he get all that extra stuff from?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go ahead Sep 2, 2010

I'll recommend you

Edward Potter wrote:

I was waiting for someone to make that comment. I thought the editing of the interview was the culprit, but I'm not so sure. We'll see if the same interpreter is there for the next interview. I'd like to volunteer for the position!

Me siento muy orgulloso = I feel really happy?

During the first part, it could have been. But the second statement was obviously there in full.

I think the interpreter did finally say, "I feel really proud", but where does he get all that extra stuff from?

He should've said that in the first place. I've seen colleagues go on to fill up the empty space, but they generally had something to base their paraphrasing on (because it's basically a paraphrasing technique). To obtain that he should've let Aroldis (got it this time) talk on a little more.

There's something about the press conference set-up that can make interpreters defensive. It's basically the fact that you're one against so many people wanting to butt in. But I think this may have been over-reacting, not to mention dangerous.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ES - EN Baseball interpreter in action

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »