Philippe Oubelhaj
Philippe Oubelhaj
Belgium
Local time: 13:06
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 2, 2010

Hello,
I have a question concerning the invoice. I have had a large interpreting job (several days on site) and now I'm calculating the total number of hours, but what do you do with the lunch breaks and dinner breaks? Do people also add those hours as well or only the other hours. A colleague of mine here said that he always counted the hours from the time he had to be on site until the time he could go home again, so including the breaks.

Best regards,

Philip
... See more
Hello,
I have a question concerning the invoice. I have had a large interpreting job (several days on site) and now I'm calculating the total number of hours, but what do you do with the lunch breaks and dinner breaks? Do people also add those hours as well or only the other hours. A colleague of mine here said that he always counted the hours from the time he had to be on site until the time he could go home again, so including the breaks.

Best regards,

Philippe
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:06
Romanian to English
+ ...
Hi Philippe, Nov 2, 2010

From personal experience (over 15 years of interpreting), your friend is right .

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2009)
English to French
hmmm Nov 2, 2010

I've never added them I must admit but I've heard of some people doing it.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No day rates? Nov 3, 2010

For jobs like these I'm surprised day rates aren't applied. The only jobs I know that pay by the hour are police, court and public institution functions on line item schedules (and then waiting time and "dead time" are paid).

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Flemish to English
+ ...
Per day Nov 3, 2010

At Lessius College, the head of the interpreting department is an AIIC-interpreter/E.U.-accredited interpreter and the college is very selective about whom they grant the degree of conference interpreter. Surely, they must have told you that interpeters are paid per (half)-day or per day, per diems not included, whatever the duration of the assignment.

[Edited at 2010-11-03 07:46 GMT]

Cécile A.-C.
Cécile A.-C.
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2010)
Portuguese to French
+ ...
Hello Philippe, Nov 3, 2010

It depends on the country you're doing the job as these practices changes from place to place. They are country specific and related to local labor laws and regulations.

Cécile

Bogdan Petrovic
Bogdan Petrovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
yeah Nov 3, 2010

lee roth wrote:

From personal experience (over 15 years of interpreting), your friend is right .

Your friend is right.

Let's say they call you to the site and then you wait for say five hours before interpreting for one hour.

It's not your problem, you should charge from the moment you are requested to be present until the moment you leave.

That's how I've been doing it for 15 years.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing question for an interpreting job

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »