Thread poster: Christiana Tziortziou
Christiana Tziortziou
Christiana Tziortziou  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
English to Greek
+ ...
Nov 7, 2010

Hi all,
I have started doing court interpreting a few months ago, and I've just accepted to be an interpreter for an all-day conference/workshop (from 10:00 until 16:00, including breaks and lunch). Agreed on the prices and all, and now the organisation hosting the event has asked me to tell them what equipment I need for the event, so that they will supply it. I will be translating from Greek into English and vice versa, for one speaker from Serbia and I don't quite know what kind of equi
... See more
Hi all,
I have started doing court interpreting a few months ago, and I've just accepted to be an interpreter for an all-day conference/workshop (from 10:00 until 16:00, including breaks and lunch). Agreed on the prices and all, and now the organisation hosting the event has asked me to tell them what equipment I need for the event, so that they will supply it. I will be translating from Greek into English and vice versa, for one speaker from Serbia and I don't quite know what kind of equipment is necessary for one person only (a booth, microphones, etc.)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you all in advance.

Christiana
Collapse

Rekha Narula
Rekha Narula  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
English to French
+ ...
Interpreting for one person, no booth required Nov 7, 2010

Hello Christiana,

I've just finished doing simultaneous interpreting for delegates last week. The establishment which was hosting the week-long seminar used a "bidule" type set up. This is where delegates wear an ear-piece with an adjust
... See more
Hello Christiana,

I've just finished doing simultaneous interpreting for delegates last week. The establishment which was hosting the week-long seminar used a "bidule" type set up. This is where delegates wear an ear-piece with an adjustable volume and channel device:

http://www.globalav.com/images/Simultaneous%20Interpreters/interpreters_equipment_3th.jpg

OR

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSD9_DdY17YeWRmcAxaK-DEHmmYnEecaT3gn9ua5Ki___pxcU&t=1&usg=__49jUNOWrGoPA0MKqpp0tmkZ19GQ=

This would enable you to move around the room. However, if it's for a court then perhaps a booth is necessary. It all depends on the court room, its layout etc.

If you decide on one of the two pieces of equipment above, then it's best to get the head set where the listener can put it in both ears rather than just the one. Otherwise, the "exposed" ear gets distracted by extraneous noise. Rather like these :

http://www.yxplora.ch/tl_files/yxplorax/images/Funk-Headsets%20-%202%20Ton-Kanaele%20individuell%20waehlbar.jpg

Hope this helps and all the best with the assignment

Rekha
Collapse

Christiana Tziortziou
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conference interpreting equipment Nov 7, 2010

Hi Rekha,
thanks for your advice, it isn't going to be in a court room, it's going to be a conference where one speaker from Serbia will be in need of an interpreter, that's why I was wondering if an interpreting booth would be necessary. The organisation hosting the event said that I'd be interpreting her speach to the audience, from English into Greek, and then the other speeches to her into English and, afterwards, the workshop (where there will be questions, comments, etc.)

... See more
Hi Rekha,
thanks for your advice, it isn't going to be in a court room, it's going to be a conference where one speaker from Serbia will be in need of an interpreter, that's why I was wondering if an interpreting booth would be necessary. The organisation hosting the event said that I'd be interpreting her speach to the audience, from English into Greek, and then the other speeches to her into English and, afterwards, the workshop (where there will be questions, comments, etc.)

Christiana
Collapse

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
If they have the money ... Nov 8, 2010

Hi ya,
If they have enough money, ask them to provide a simultaneous interpreting booth as it is going to be easier for you to work (the booth walls are sound proof and you will not be distracted by the noise outside).
If they have a low budget, they can provide a "bidule" system (as Rekha was suggesting), which is basically a simultaneous interpreting system with no booth. It is cheaper to rent, but you may get more distracted by the noise outside.
If their budget is too low a
... See more
Hi ya,
If they have enough money, ask them to provide a simultaneous interpreting booth as it is going to be easier for you to work (the booth walls are sound proof and you will not be distracted by the noise outside).
If they have a low budget, they can provide a "bidule" system (as Rekha was suggesting), which is basically a simultaneous interpreting system with no booth. It is cheaper to rent, but you may get more distracted by the noise outside.
If their budget is too low and they can not afford to provide any system at all, you will have to sit next to the Serbian speaker and whisper in her ear the translation. However, when she's going to speak, you will have to translate the message consecutively, otherwise it is going to be a mess.
Customers sometimes are put off by the high costs of simultaneous interpreting equipments.
Let us know
Franco
Collapse

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
And furthermore Nov 8, 2010

Hi Christiana,

Although your query is regarding interpreting equipment, I am somewhat concerned as to the fact that it seems that you may be working alone for 6 hours straight doing simultaneous interpreting?

The standard is two use at least 2 interpreters (who work in turns) if you are going to be working for the whole day (with minimum breaks).

As for equipment, it sounds as if the client is not even sure of type of interpreting they need so I agree with
... See more
Hi Christiana,

Although your query is regarding interpreting equipment, I am somewhat concerned as to the fact that it seems that you may be working alone for 6 hours straight doing simultaneous interpreting?

The standard is two use at least 2 interpreters (who work in turns) if you are going to be working for the whole day (with minimum breaks).

As for equipment, it sounds as if the client is not even sure of type of interpreting they need so I agree with Rekha's and Franco's advice.

Regards,
Myriam

[Edited at 2010-11-08 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
That is so true Nov 8, 2010

Myriam Garcia Bernabe wrote:

[Edited at 2010-11-08 10:50 GMT]

That is so true! Don't even think you can manage a simultaneous interpreting all day long on your own!

Christiana Tziortziou
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Nov 9, 2010

Thanks for all your comments, they've been a great help. I already told my client about the equipment and I'm waiting for their reply now.
Thanks also for your advice on having 2 interpreters on the conference, the workshop though won't take more than 4 hours (excluding all the breaks and one-hr lunch) and probably it'd be whispering to the Serbian speaker, as it is going to be a relatively small workshop.
I've done simultaneus interpreting at court for 4 hrs a few times standing wit
... See more
Thanks for all your comments, they've been a great help. I already told my client about the equipment and I'm waiting for their reply now.
Thanks also for your advice on having 2 interpreters on the conference, the workshop though won't take more than 4 hours (excluding all the breaks and one-hr lunch) and probably it'd be whispering to the Serbian speaker, as it is going to be a relatively small workshop.
I've done simultaneus interpreting at court for 4 hrs a few times standing without breaks and I've been tricked once doing an 8 hr conference (without the breaks) by myself, so obviously that will not happen again!
Collapse

Rekha Narula
Rekha Narula  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
2 interpreters for CI and SI Nov 9, 2010

Hi Christiana,

I had meant to say in my first reply that you cannot do this interpreting for one day on your own, be it Consecutive or Simultaneous, as Myriam indicated.

In fact I did mainly simultaneous with a colleague last week, which involved some elements of CI. You will need a partner to relieve you if you get tired or cannot concentrate etc; this would be every 20 min or so.

Good luck !

Rekha

MDI-IDM
MDI-IDM
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interpretation teams Nov 12, 2010

Just as a contribution to the discussion, there are established standards for simultaneous interpretation, and what follows below is from the Web site of aiic, the International Association of Conference interpreters.

http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article122.htm

TEAMS OF INTERPRETERS

Given the physical and mental fatigue that are caused by sustaine
... See more
Just as a contribution to the discussion, there are established standards for simultaneous interpretation, and what follows below is from the Web site of aiic, the International Association of Conference interpreters.

http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article122.htm

TEAMS OF INTERPRETERS

Given the physical and mental fatigue that are caused by sustained concentration, certain constraints will necessarily apply to the composition of teams in order to guarantee that the work done will be of an optimum quality.

The minimum number of interpreters required to make up a team is a function of these constraints as well as the mode of interpretation, the number of languages used, the language classifications of the interpreters making up the team, the nature of the conference, its duration and the workload.

1. Consecutive Interpretation

Minimum number of interpreters:

Two languages into two: Two

Three languages into three: Three

Under exceptional circumstances and provided the principles of quality and health are taken into full consideration, it shall be possible to recruit just one interpreter instead of two or two interpreters instead of three.

2. Whispered Interpretation

For a conference involving the interpretation of one or two languages into one other language and where there are no more than two listeners, whether or not consecutive interpretation is provided in the other direction, at least two interpreters shall be required.

3. Simultaneous Interpretation

(...)

As a general rule, a team is composed of at least two interpreters per language and per booth. This is to ensure adequate coverage of all language combinations and to guarantee the necessary quality.

The number of interpretation booths is the same as the number of target languages, except for the case of two-language conferences where a single booth may suffice.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreting equipment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »