Julio Ferrandis (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2011

Hello to all interpreters out there!

I have been asked to do a whispering interpreting for a business conference where there will be around 10 attendants. I will be interpreting only for one person.

I have just received the actual program and I can see that it will be a 8 hours conference (divided in different sections) but as we all know, whispering interpreting is almost like simultaneous interpreting, however in simultaneous normally we work in couples to take break
... See more

I have been asked to do a whispering interpreting for a business conference where there will be around 10 attendants. I will be interpreting only for one person.

I have just received the actual program and I can see that it will be a 8 hours conference (divided in different sections) but as we all know, whispering interpreting is almost like simultaneous interpreting, however in simultaneous normally we work in couples to take breaks, but in this occasion I will be solo.

I was wondering if anyone out there had more experience in whispering interpreting and could let me know what they think about this.

Many thanks in advance

Julio
Collapse

VB Languages
VB Languages
United States
Local time: 01:56
Gujarati to English
+ ...
Its simultaneous Jan 10, 2011

You said it...its simultaneous. I do not have an experience of having done 8 hour marathon at a stretch but I also have never seen anything....anything....ever where there is no break. I guess that's all I can add. If I were you I may shoot off a query to the coordinator and clarify break times, if any. Good luck.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Natural breaks Jan 10, 2011

Whispering is different from regular interpreting because you are working closely with only one person. You soon get an idea of exactly what they need and want from you. You may find that your person actually understands some of the source language and can follow certain parts of the program without you. This would be especially true of sections where there is a lot of A-V support, such as pictures and graphs, that allow you to simply summarize what is being said.
I have also worked
... See more
Whispering is different from regular interpreting because you are working closely with only one person. You soon get an idea of exactly what they need and want from you. You may find that your person actually understands some of the source language and can follow certain parts of the program without you. This would be especially true of sections where there is a lot of A-V support, such as pictures and graphs, that allow you to simply summarize what is being said.
I have also worked with those who were actually not very interested in certain aspects of the program and were glad to have me summarize these sections rather than interpret word-for-boring-word. (For example when the MC lists all the local businesses who have contributed to preparing the conference, I say something like, "The MC is thanking all the businesses who have contributed....etc," rather than repeating all their names.
Or, they themselves took breaks for coffee and the bathroom, at which point I would take mine.
I would suggest asking whoever is hiring you if a more personalized approach, allowing for natural sorts of breaks, is OK from his or her point of view. Many of them hire interpreters out of courtesy to the guest,so it is the guest whom you need to please.
! Suerte!
\
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
8 hours with breaks Jan 10, 2011

Julio Ferrandis wrote:

I have just received the actual program and I can see that it will be a 8 hours conference (divided in different sections) but as we all know, whispering interpreting is almost like simultaneous interpreting, however in simultaneous normally we work in couples to take breaks, but in this occasion I will be solo.

I was wondering if anyone out there had more experience in whispering interpreting and could let me know what they think about this.

Many thanks in advance

Julio

Did that a couple of times. The schedule was: From 9 a.m.-10.15 a.m. first speech, followed by a 10-15 minutes break, from 10.15-12: discussion. 12-13.30 : luncheon 14.00-15.15: round table 15.30-17.00 : discussion and closing speech.
Sat next to a person and interpreted while whispering in his ear from and to a language. Tends to become quite tiresome at the end of the week.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
English to Russian
+ ...
With Williamson Jan 10, 2011

Also, after whispering (chuchotage) for 8 hours with breaks, you will definitely feel it on your vocal cords, the way I did. It turned out that the strain on your voice when whispering is no less, if not more, than during simultaneous or consecutive interpretation - as some would think. One more thing: when you are in a booth, your environment is sound-isolated, contrary to sitting in the audience next to the client, when you might have people talking to each other during presentations and part... See more
Also, after whispering (chuchotage) for 8 hours with breaks, you will definitely feel it on your vocal cords, the way I did. It turned out that the strain on your voice when whispering is no less, if not more, than during simultaneous or consecutive interpretation - as some would think. One more thing: when you are in a booth, your environment is sound-isolated, contrary to sitting in the audience next to the client, when you might have people talking to each other during presentations and partially obstructing your listening, or the speaker's voice on the microphone be quite overwhelming. Therefore, it is always good to have the printouts or any other materials ready if possible. Also, I had some mean looks from those in the audience which did not understand that I was working and not chatting. Good luck!Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:56
English to Polish
+ ...
done it a few times Jan 10, 2011

The longest day was 6 or 7 hours, I think, including breaks. Yes, there is definitely fatigue, big time.

sokolniki wrote:

Also, after whispering (chuchotage) for 8 hours with breaks, you will definitely feel it on your vocal cords, the way I did. It turned out that the strain on your voice when whispering is no less, if not more, than during simultaneous or consecutive interpretation - as some would think.

Indeed, however the way I did it, my voice was a little louder than an actual whisper (a lot quieter, of course, than the speaker - didn't disturb anyone). Perhaps it's obvious and the way it's always done, I don't know - I don't have that many contacts among interpreters. The most exhausting thing was the need to be 100% focused for extended periods.

Note, however, that the guest you'll be working with will likely get tired as well and might gradually lose interest over the day. I guess he/she may be more demanding during the morning sessions, so you'll be able to make a good impression (that lasts) while you're fresh. Anyone have more experience with this?

Julio Ferrandis (X)
Julio Ferrandis (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 12, 2011

Many thanks everyone for your responses. I do appreciate it!

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A conference with ten people Jan 14, 2011

I don’t think that they will use a microphone, and it is likely that apart from someone chairing the meeting, there will be a number of speakers and discussions between the participants. It also means that it will be less formal in this respect and will be possible to ask for a break, if necessary.

I would expect that apart from the breaks, lunchtime is also part of the 8 hours schedule, not additional, so in reality the 8 hours would be shortened by the lunch hour and the break
... See more
I don’t think that they will use a microphone, and it is likely that apart from someone chairing the meeting, there will be a number of speakers and discussions between the participants. It also means that it will be less formal in this respect and will be possible to ask for a break, if necessary.

I would expect that apart from the breaks, lunchtime is also part of the 8 hours schedule, not additional, so in reality the 8 hours would be shortened by the lunch hour and the breaks. It is still very tiring.

You should ask if there will be other language translators present, and try to sit (together with your client) as far as possible from them, otherwise they would disturb you and vice versa. If you are the only one, and there is a main speaker, sit at the opposite end of the table from him, if possible, but make sure that you can see him well. Lip-reading is part of the speech absorbing process.

It is often the case that your client is familiar with the subject, and in that case acronyms or other abbreviations don’t have to be detailed.

As Jessica said, you can often summarise what is being said. When a discussion is going on, there is a short natural break between the speakers and it gives you the opportunity to catch up, or have a deep breath.

In any case, meet your client at least 10-15 minutes before they start, talk to him, and learn from him what his expectations are, and tell him that he should tell you during the meeting when he is not interested in precise details, or when it is important for him to know exactly what is being said.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whispering interpreting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »