Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:22
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2011

Dear all,

I qualified as a Conference Interpreter 3 years ago and after working inhouse for a year, both as an interpreter and translator, I went freelance. Ever since I have been trying to get into the Public Service. My first try was to interpret for MET. However, when I contacted them about demand for Portuguese and German interpreters, they advised me not to invest the money in the tests as, even if I was to pass them, they already had enough established freelance interpreters a
... See more
Dear all,

I qualified as a Conference Interpreter 3 years ago and after working inhouse for a year, both as an interpreter and translator, I went freelance. Ever since I have been trying to get into the Public Service. My first try was to interpret for MET. However, when I contacted them about demand for Portuguese and German interpreters, they advised me not to invest the money in the tests as, even if I was to pass them, they already had enough established freelance interpreters and would use them first. They've put me on the list in case demand changes so I can be contacted to do the tests.

What is your opinion on this? Is Portuguese really not high in demand? There are various courses offered by the IoL (Criminal Court Interpreting, Police interpreting, ...), but I don't want to invest the money if there won't be any demand.

I am now applying for the Border Agency as I have experience in that field. Where else could I apply for? I live in London, but don't mind travelling to other locations.

I appreciate any suggestions and comments,
Mariana
Collapse

ParlInt
ParlInt
Local time: 03:22
Try the EU! Jan 30, 2011

Have you tried the European Institutions? Try the facebook group Interpreting for Europe for details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Portuguese Interpreter

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »