Maria Arzayus
Maria Arzayus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2011

Hello dear colleagues

Good day to you! I am in the East Bay of San Francisco, US, so if you need a bit of sunshine to brighten your day here it comes!

My languages are English>Spanish>English. I have been approached by an established translation and interpreting company. They want to recruit me to do over the phone interpreting (OPI) and are offering US$0.35/minute, US$21/hour - on site US$40/hour, minimum 2 hours plus state rate for milage.

I think these r
... See more
Hello dear colleagues

Good day to you! I am in the East Bay of San Francisco, US, so if you need a bit of sunshine to brighten your day here it comes!

My languages are English>Spanish>English. I have been approached by an established translation and interpreting company. They want to recruit me to do over the phone interpreting (OPI) and are offering US$0.35/minute, US$21/hour - on site US$40/hour, minimum 2 hours plus state rate for milage.

I think these rates are on the low side. I earn better with my translations. My time is very valuable so...

I am interested in exploring this, but this is the first time I would be doing this.

My question to you is: How good are these rates? What are the 'normal', max and min rates, and would it be advisable to ask for more?

I want to reply today or tomorrow, so your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
It really depends... Feb 8, 2011

Maria Arzayus wrote:

Hello dear colleagues

I think these rates are on the low side. I earn better with my translations. My time is very valuable so...

I am interested in exploring this, but this is the first time I would be doing this.

My question to you is: How good are these rates? What are the 'normal', max and min rates, and would it be advisable to ask for more?

I want to reply today or tomorrow, so your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

Hi Maria,

I also work as a telephone interpreter, but with Italian. The rates you have been offered are low, I would not work for such rates (I get paid about double than that), but the problem is probably your language combination, which is very common.

At the end, it is up to you to decide how to use your time in the best way possible.

Best wishes,
Giusi

Maria Arzayus
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! It's useful Feb 8, 2011

Hello Giussepina

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. This is helpful. I understand that the language combination may be more common than yours, at the same time there appears to be a lot of work in this area with English and Spanish.

I look forward to receiving more comments from other colleagues before replying to the company.

Wish you a very good day!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Low Feb 8, 2011

I am in the same language combination and the rates mentioned seem low to me. I say those rates are low, and I live in an area where the cost of living is much cheaper than in the SF area. Sure, our combination is very common, and there is also a great demand for it, so we should not work for peanuts. Added to that is the fact that there are people in our combination who reach a very high level of excellence because they get a lot of practice and can command the best rates.

I spend
... See more
I am in the same language combination and the rates mentioned seem low to me. I say those rates are low, and I live in an area where the cost of living is much cheaper than in the SF area. Sure, our combination is very common, and there is also a great demand for it, so we should not work for peanuts. Added to that is the fact that there are people in our combination who reach a very high level of excellence because they get a lot of practice and can command the best rates.

I spend most of my time translating because my productivity is such that I can make the best money there. So if your time is valuable, then just do what makes sense. If you have slack periods you could consider working at a lower rate at times. But phone interpreting basically does not pay so well, and I wouldn't think that companies in that business would require the highest professional standards either.
Collapse

Holger Laux
Holger Laux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
need to stick together Feb 9, 2011

In the interest of preserving the market, I rather like to turn down low offers (also for translation) and have no hesitation telling the client why. But I understand that it can be hard for some colleagues when they are dependent on all the income they can get.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
By all means ask for more Feb 9, 2011

Related topic: http://www.proz.com/topic/181876

If you charged 0.08 cents a word working at home that would about net you their hourly fee on site (granted your typing skills are normal/fast and your fluency spontaneous). If you take them on their terms, we're talking lost opportunity...

Maria Arzayus
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Very helpful! Feb 9, 2011

Hello Henry, Holger & Parrot

Thanks very much for your replies. Very helpful.

So, you all agree that what they are offering me is quite low. I agree.

I have been a translator for 25 years, Spanish native speaker, mostly with translations, but some interpreting would be interesting. I just would like it to pay too.

How much do you think I ought to ask for OPI minute, hour and for face to face?

Anybody doing it right now who is ear
... See more
Hello Henry, Holger & Parrot

Thanks very much for your replies. Very helpful.

So, you all agree that what they are offering me is quite low. I agree.

I have been a translator for 25 years, Spanish native speaker, mostly with translations, but some interpreting would be interesting. I just would like it to pay too.

How much do you think I ought to ask for OPI minute, hour and for face to face?

Anybody doing it right now who is earning a more or less good rate?

Will appreciate your replies very much. Once I get more information I will be able to reply to the company that wants to recruit me.

Best wishes to all!
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Reply Feb 9, 2011

If Giuseppina says she gets about twice that rate you mentioned, that might be a good figure to ask for. Just do not be too optimistic that they will accept.

Maria Arzayus
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that's true... almost double it and see... Feb 9, 2011

Hello Henry

Yes, you are right. She has already given me an indication. I'll wait and see what other colleagues have to add.

With thanks and best wishes

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 02:08
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's low Feb 9, 2011

Maria Arzayus wrote:

US$0.35/minute

It's low even for Lithuania nothing to say about the US.

Nikita Kobrin

Cécile A.-C.
Cécile A.-C.
United States
Local time: 19:08
Member (2010)
Portuguese to French
+ ...
The language combination has a lot to do with pricing... Feb 9, 2011

If demand is high in a language combination and the pool of translators offering that is large as well, prices will go down. Keep in mind that Italian, Russian and other languages will pay more than Spanish, French although it does not mean that you need to accept peanuts, don't expect the same rate level either.

Maria Arzayus
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreting rates how to charge... Feb 9, 2011

Thank you Cecilea and Nikita for your comments. Like the ones before very useful.

Wish you all a good day

jrvsanmartin
jrvsanmartin
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little low/high Feb 10, 2011

Hola Maria,

If you were in Minnesota I would say those rates are OK. We don't do much up here since we have to stay in - out of the cold and spend less. However, one factor you should also consider is the type of interpreting you'll be doing.
For Legal interpreting (and specially if you have any certifications at all) those reates are low. For medical they are border line. It also depends very much on the competition you may have around.

I hope this helps.
<
... See more
Hola Maria,

If you were in Minnesota I would say those rates are OK. We don't do much up here since we have to stay in - out of the cold and spend less. However, one factor you should also consider is the type of interpreting you'll be doing.
For Legal interpreting (and specially if you have any certifications at all) those reates are low. For medical they are border line. It also depends very much on the competition you may have around.

I hope this helps.

JS
Collapse

Maria Arzayus
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreting rates how to charge... Feb 10, 2011

Hello JS

Thank you for your comments, together with the ones already received they are very useful to help me decide what to do.

I wish you a good day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Current rates for phone interpreting?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »