Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2011

I'm interested to know what approach other interpreters take when asked to work at weekends. In other lines of work, in the UK at least, hourly rates are increased on Saturdays and Sundays.

I've never been able to establish definitively whether this is the norm for interpreting. I'd welcome the thoughts of others.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 06:28
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I enjoy the peculiarities of freelancing Feb 17, 2011

Hi Dan

Dan Brennan wrote:

In other lines of work, in the UK at least, hourly rates are increased on Saturdays and Sundays.

I think this concerns more those who works in-house. Being a freelancer I don't charge extra for working on weekends. Sometimes I even prefer to have a rest on week days instead and am quite happy that can afford it: the bars and museums are not so overcrowded as they are on weekends...

But I apply a surcharge for overnight working: 50% for working from 7 pm till 11 pm and 100% for working after 11 pm...

Nikita Kobrin

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Same Rate Feb 17, 2011

It can often be the case that you could be called upon to work a weekend, let's say for a conference. I agree with Nikita that such situations are the joy of freelancing. You are not bound by any particular schedule and can allow yourself many freedoms others do not have. So you work a weekend, but to compensate for that you have time for yourself on other occasions. Now if a client expects you to work 12-hour days then yes, you need to consider an overtime rate, because that can be quite exhaus... See more
It can often be the case that you could be called upon to work a weekend, let's say for a conference. I agree with Nikita that such situations are the joy of freelancing. You are not bound by any particular schedule and can allow yourself many freedoms others do not have. So you work a weekend, but to compensate for that you have time for yourself on other occasions. Now if a client expects you to work 12-hour days then yes, you need to consider an overtime rate, because that can be quite exhausting.Collapse

Amy Moreno
Amy Moreno
English
+ ...
Interpreting for agencies Feb 17, 2011

I work as an interpreter for a couple of agencies and they pay an increased amount in the evenings (usually 25%), going up again for working at night and at the weekend (from 50%-100%). Although I haven't done in the past when I've done interpreting as freelance, I think I would follow a similar model now.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's pretty much your own call Feb 17, 2011

I'd say most conferences take place on weekends (those that are not THAT official, that is), due to participants' being more available on weekends. I used to work in-house and be given days off when other people least expected them (about 50% of the time I had spent working). So I think Henry's pretty close to the reality. If you don't like those terms, you're free to fix a rate that makes them acceptable.

But DO define overtime.

André Fernandes
André Fernandes
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's up to you Feb 18, 2011

Hi Dan

I agree with what the other colleagues said. I don't charge more for an interpreting assignment during the weekend. In fact, sometimes I’ll rather work on a Saturday and have a break in the middle of the week. However, I do charge extra hours, if the work exceeds the generally accepted 8 hours of work.

In any case, being a freelancer you have the power to accept or reject an assignment. It’s up to you to establish your rates and decide when you want to work.:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weekend rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »