Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Kurdish to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2012

Dear all,
I mostly do translation but I just passed DPSI law and may consider some interpreting work as well.
Do you think that the NRPSI is still worth applying and becoming a member while Capita or (ALS) is now dealing with most interpreting jobs?
thanks
Ata

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Definitely Oct 22, 2012

NRPSI is still the most recognised seal of quality (prestigious anyway) and the Capita/ALS hold on the contract is tenuous at best. I wouldn't go placing my eggs in that basket. Even if they manage to salvage the current contract, contracts expire.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 18:18 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If I understand correctly... Oct 22, 2012

Ata Arif ACIL wrote:
I mostly do translation but I just passed DPSI law and may consider some interpreting work as well.
Do you think that the NRPSI is still worth applying and becoming a member while Capita or (ALS) is now dealing with most interpreting jobs?

If I understand correctly,
* there is no longer a fee for being on the NRPSI, and
* NRPSI membership is taken into account in ALS/Capita's tier assessments
...so you've got nothing to lose.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Another thread Oct 22, 2012

Hi Ata

I suspect you may be interested in this thread, which discusses the controversial way in which interpreting services have been marketised and then monopolised by one company (i.e. there's no competition at all now):

<
... See more
Hi Ata

I suspect you may be interested in this thread, which discusses the controversial way in which interpreting services have been marketised and then monopolised by one company (i.e. there's no competition at all now):

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/203314-privatization_of_legal_interpreting_services_in_the_uk.html

[Edited at 2012-10-22 18:58 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And moreover Oct 22, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

NRPSI is still the most recognised seal of quality (prestigious anyway) and the Capita/ALS hold on the contract is tenuous at best. I wouldn't go placing my eggs in that basket. Even if they manage to salvage the current contract, contracts expire.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 18:18 GMT]

And moreover the government has the power to terminate the contract and take the interpreting service back under direct public control. I personally hope that's what happens; the marketisation process seems to have been completely botched. We've ended up not with a competitive market in interpreter services, but a monopoly controlled by a giant multi-headed conglomerate of dubious competence in the field of language services, in a perverted way that completely eliminates competition and leaves NO OTHER ROUTE for procuring court interpreter services.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 19:03 GMT]

Ata Arif
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind contributions.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
subscription Oct 22, 2012

@Samuel, you still have to pay for one language (£198) but the second is free.

That said, I'm till renewing my registration as many of us are, in the expectation of brighter days.

Good luck Ata and remember, you're a highly skilled professional and deserve to be treated as one. No peanuts!

Ata Arif
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 23, 2012

Thank you Susanna

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Wait a while Oct 24, 2012

I suggest you wait a while, a few months or so. At the moment being on the Register does translate into having any (financial) benefits as the vast majority of court jobs goes to ALS.
If/when anything changes, then you can join the Register, so you do not lose months of your name just sitting there but not getting any work through it.

Marta Stelmaszak (X)
Marta Stelmaszak (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
NRPSI as a professional standard Oct 25, 2012

Dear Ata,

While you may not get as many jobs through the register as before, being on the register is a sign of professionalism. It may not get you jobs directly, but these four letters after your name still mean a lot in the industry.

On another note, if we want to raise awareness and uphold professional standards, joining organisations and registers is the first step. They're only as strong as their members.

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering registration on the NRPSI - advice needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »