simona_dv
simona_dv  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2013

Hi all,

sorry for the silly question but how do you calculate travel time for interpreting jobs?

I've been asked to work at a two-day conference away from where I am based (A), and the conference is held in a different city (B and C) on each day. This means I will have to travel from A to B the day before the conference (in the afternoon as it's a five-hour journey by train), stay at a b&b or so, work in B on day one, travel from B to C at the end of day one, sleep at
... See more
Hi all,

sorry for the silly question but how do you calculate travel time for interpreting jobs?

I've been asked to work at a two-day conference away from where I am based (A), and the conference is held in a different city (B and C) on each day. This means I will have to travel from A to B the day before the conference (in the afternoon as it's a five-hour journey by train), stay at a b&b or so, work in B on day one, travel from B to C at the end of day one, sleep at C, work in C on day two and travel from C back to A at the end of day two.

How much would you charge for travel time in this particular situation, given that for 12 hours of effective work I will have to be away from home for almost two and a half days?

Should I ask for a lump sum for work time + travel time, or should I calculate my travel time as a percentage of the work time?

Thanks everyone!

[Edited at 2013-11-12 01:37 GMT]
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:55
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Cost of Travel Nov 12, 2013

I would claim for the total cost of travel including everything (i.e. cabs, etc) plus the total cost of meals and hotel. Then again, that is how I would do it. Yours (going by the hours) is a different approach.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The cost of travel has to be reimbursed anyway, Nov 12, 2013

but you also have to charge for the travel time itself. Some interpreters charge 50% of their day rate, others more. You have to decide what is reasonable on a case by case basis.

simona_dv
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for your replies, but I've got more questions.
I'm not familiar with travel time expenses as I've always worked where I am based.

Do I have to calculate just the hours I will spend on a train (7 or 8) or the whole time I'll be away from home for the conference?

Obviously I will have different criteria for one or the other option

Thanks so much again!

Valery Shapovalenko
Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Various Approaches Nov 12, 2013

1. You charge 100% (or 50, depends from you but bear in mind, you could have worked in spite of traveling) for time in travel from home to hotel AND back home (in case of arrival the day before), plus your travel costs (train/flight/bus +cab) AND hotel costs. Apart from these you charge for the job done.

simovalley wrote:

Thanks for your replies, but I've got more questions.
I'm not familiar with travel time expenses as I've always worked where I am based.

Do I have to calculate just the hours I will spend on a train (7 or 8) or the whole time I'll be away from home for the conference?

Obviously I will have different criteria for one or the other option

Thanks so much again!

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:55
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Travel expenses + travel time Nov 12, 2013

Like others, I would charge between 50 and 100% of my hourly rate for time spent traveling in addition to all traveling costs - meals, hotel, car rental, gas, etc. Ultimately, you are free to set your own terms.

heart2005
heart2005
Ukraine
It depends Nov 12, 2013

It seems to me that time we spend on travellig from place 1 to place 2,3 should be paid as well. It can be less paid, but still. We spend time, and time is money.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Two and one half days Nov 13, 2013

Charge for two and one half days at your normal daily rate, that is the time you are giving them, and you do not knock anything off because it is travel time. It is time that would otherwise be spent earning money at your full rate.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Tahira Rafiq asked to delete the post.
simona_dv
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 13, 2013

Thanks everyone for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters: travel time

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »